Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Medical Experts out there?

Any Medical Experts out there?

Last night I unfortunately fractured my hand behind my little finger, which happens to be my trigger hand.
    Obviously it will be hard for anyone to give any info without actually looking at my hand but if anyone has any info or has done something similar do they know how long it will be before I can fire a rifle again? I'm off to Scotland 4th Feb and do not want to miss that!

Not to sure would be best thing to ask a Docter/Nurse at the fracture clinic!

Many thanks to anyone that can help.

Pete

Account Suspended
    I'm not a medical expert but I did fracture my left wrist when I was 16 and was out shooting again as soon as the plaster cast was removed 4 weeks later. I'm right handed so the wrist was needed to support the fore-end. It ached a bit at first but that was never a big deal.

By comparison, I very painfully cracked a bone in my ankle over four years ago (at the age of 49) and have only, something like, fully recovered in the last few months... didn't stop me shooting at all... did make dragging out more uncomfortable than usual though.

How old are you?

Thanks for your input Tamus, I'm only 27 so should hopefully recover pretty quickly.
    They have only taped fingers together at the moment, which I think is all they are going to do so I can hold and fire a rifle, however I need my hands for work so do not want to cause any other dmamge which could be detrimental to my work.

I assume you have actually been to hospital to confirm it has been fractured?
    When my knife slipped and i cut my tendons the hospital staff were very professional in Exeter and were fine when my first question was, when can i shoot again?'
    So ask them, they will be fine about it.
    Cheers
    Richard

If you can grip the rifle you can shoot it. I was teaching a med student how to shoot two winters ago and when I picked her up one snowy Saturday morning, I wiped out on some ice and got a boxer's fracture to my right wrist when I broke my fall. It hurt, but we shot everything that day including .44 magnum handgun and had a good time. I got it casted the following Monday at work. The shoot was worth the discomfort.~Muir

I have been to A&E where they confirmed the fracture last night. I have an appointment tomorrow at the fracture clinic so may just ask them. Should be able to grip the rifle fine so should be ok I guess, don't want to be out of action for to long especially being right in the middle of the busy period!

Quote Originally Posted by Discopete View Post
    I have been to A&E where they confirmed the fracture last night. I have an appointment tomorrow at the fracture clinic so may just ask them. Should be able to grip the rifle fine so should be ok I guess, don't want to be out of action for to long especially being right in the middle of the busy period!
    If its a fracture of the finger bones then it will probably be ok as it will be stabilised with a finger splint which probably wont get in the way.
    If it is a metacarpal fracture, ie the bones under the back of the hand/palm then depending whether it is displaced you may need a plaster for stabilization which will effectively fix your hand in a neutral position... not great for holding a rifle or accurate shooting.
    Good luck at fracture clinic

Regards

Fraser
    damnant quodnon intelligunt

Snapped the knuckle above my pinky was out for 4 weeks then back to work ( forced being self employed) youll be advised not to lift anything heave with it for about 8 weeks as it will probably fracture again and also a had to return every week to the fracture clinic to make sure it was ok for 6 weeks. That's only if they don't operate on it, if it affects your grip they will operate.

your problem will be that they're not taking the cast off until after Feb 4th mate. unless you cut that cast off yourself, you'll not be shooting. sorry to say, but a hairline fracture is 6-8 weeks healing time. I don't think the NHS will agree to prematurely remove a cast as it can lead to all sorts of complications.

I once declined surgery in what sounds like the same place for a knuckle fracture becomes I needed my hand free for a fishing trip. I now can't move my little finger/pinky more than a few cm's, which the doctor had predicted would happen over time and I get pains in it regularly.
    seriuosly, unless the NHS confirms otherwise, forget the trip and ensure your hand heals properly. Just my opinion.

I know what Muir says may be true, but to remove a cast prematurely and start using your hand before a fracture is healed could lead to further complications and may also lead to all sorts of strange things happening, abnormal growth/healing, etc.

hope all goes well

PKL

I think that you will find that they won't put a cast on a fractured hand. When ever I have broken bones, knuckles excluded, they have put a cast on there and then. if it was not serious enough for a cast at a & e I don't think they will put a cast on it three days after the break

David