Thread: Exporting rules NVG's lasers, rifle scopes ect

Exporting rules NVG's lasers, rifle scopes ect

Just got back from the states and was amazed at how cheap their optics are in comparison to ours, picked up a pair of bushnell powerviews for 45 bucks, and tied to buy a NVG'S monocular for 100 bucks but stated the law states that no NVG's or rifle scopes could be taken out the country? Anyone know why this is?

Excuse the spelling, predictive text is an ass

Perhaps you need an export license from the US and an import license into the UK! I know when we import dart rifles and darts they ned to have the relevant export /import permits.

NVG's I would imagine are under some controls in case they end up somewhere where they are going to be used against British/US soldiers somewhere!!

We are currently exporting darting (veterinary) equipment to Russia, Lithuania, Denmark ad Gibraltar. Its a nightmare!!! ... Loads of checks being made by the MOD & ECO to ensure that the recipients of the goods are not likely to use for them for a purpose they were not designed.

I might be wrong, but it may be for some reason like that.

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Whatmuff View Post
    Just got back from the states and was amazed at how cheap their optics are in comparison to ours, picked up a pair of bushnell powerviews for 45 bucks, and tied to buy a NVG'S monocular for 100 bucks but stated the law states that no NVG's or rifle scopes could be taken out the country? Anyone know why this is?
    Export rules cover weapons and associated hardware, it is the same here you cannot, for example, sent a scope to France without an export licence.

Martin

If you want to try then check with the Department of Homeland Security and get you answers in writing as you do not want to spend time in a US Federal Prison.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Or contact the BIS helpline. They are very helpful regarding the rules for imports and exports.

enquiries.ilb@bis.gsi.gov.uk
    01642 364333/334
    Roy Smiles

Regards,

Mike

Post 9/11 the US implemented VERY strict rules on the export of all firearms and parts lest terrorists use them against US citizens. Big fines and even imprisonment can result. Not all US retailers seem to be too bothered, but there are urban myths about gun stores close to the Canadian border knowingly selling stuff to Canadians then calling their license plates in to the border patrol....

Ah that makes sense, suppose someone needs to control it. Thanks for the replies guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Whatmuff View Post
    Ah that makes sense, suppose someone needs to control it. Thanks for the replies guys.
    cos thay think the bad guys will use them on them the way round is buy scope remove paperwork post as gift for jonhy then post paperwork home i had the same problem when buying a springfield arms mil dot scope for my high power ar15 ,i was told by customs at orlando airport this was a military dot, just because the hunting world use's them thay are still made for war was his reply . i said so it do't mean a milliradian dot then ? he snorted NO? with tail between my leggs seeing he was to nob with a gun i had to go back to house and do the above i got it DHL $25 had it at post office when i got home yeeehaaa