Thread: Foxes in Victoria

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available

Thumbs up Foxes in Victoria

Believe me there are a lot more out there than this figure.

Victorian fox bounty tops 133,000 scalps

Wednesday, 09 January 2013
    From the Minister for Agriculture and Food Security

The resounding success of the Victorian Coalition Government's fox and wild dog bounty continues, with more 133,000 fox scalps and 400 wild dog pelts handed in by the end of December 2012.

Agriculture and Food Security Minister Peter Walsh said the bounty was a key election commitment that had received an overwhelming response from farmers and hunters since commencing in October 2011.

"Over 15 months, collection centres have received more than 133,000 fox scalps and 400 wild dog pelts, and the total of bounties paid now exceeds $1.3 million," Mr Walsh said.

"These collection figures show that the bounty continues to play an important role in the Government's integrated approach to fox and wild dog control, in combination with other control methods such as trapping and ground baiting.

"As I've said before, the only good fox is a dead fox so the removal of more than 133,000 of these destructive pests from Victoria's landscape is great news.

"The efforts of farmers and hunters who are supporting the bounty must be recognised, and the Victoria Coalition is most appreciative of their participation."

Mr Walsh said the contrast to the Coalition's successful bounty was the previous Labor government's failed Fox Stop that saw only 20,034 scalps collected over the life of the program.

The fox and wild dog bounty will continue over summer with some small changes to the collection schedule in regards to opening hours and frequency of collection days.

"The Government is conscious of ensuring administration costs related to the bounty are kept as low as possible, to enable the maximum amount of money to be returned directly to hunters," Mr Walsh said.

"Applications for bounty over summer are traditionally at lower levels, so collections will be suspended between January 1 and February 28, 2013.

"This won't restrict hunters' ability to continue hunting, as they can still hunt and collect eligible fox and wild dog body parts."

Mr Walsh said collection centres in Gippsland were receiving lower numbers than some other areas of the state, so collections in the region would align with hunter demand and occur every eight weeks instead of every four weeks.

"These changes are all about operating the bounty as efficiently and effectively as possible," Mr Walsh said.

"Keeping administrative costs to a minimum will maximise the number of Victorian farmers and hunters who benefit while also helping to reduce the devastating impact foxes and wild dogs have on livestock and wildlife."

Victorian landholders participating in the bounty are advised to check the amended details for collection days and opening hours over the summer period at www.dpi.vic.gov.au/bounty

The fox bounty is set at $10 per scalp, and the wild dog bounty is set at $50 per skin.
    "you nae be needing these no more"
    I said as I slipped the knife through the cord

সাম্বার হরিণ

Quote Originally Posted by johngryphon View Post
    Believe me there are a lot more out there than this figure.

Victorian fox bounty tops 133,000 scalps

Wednesday, 09 January 2013

The resounding success of the Victorian Coalition Government's fox and wild dog bounty continues, with more 133,000 fox scalps and 400 wild dog pelts handed in by the end of December 2012.

Agriculture and Food Security Minister Peter Walsh said the bounty was a key election commitment that had received an overwhelming response from farmers and hunters since commencing in October 2011.

"Over 15 months, collection centres have received more than 133,000 fox scalps and 400 wild dog pelts, and the total of bounties paid now exceeds $1.3 million," Mr Walsh said.

"These collection figures show that the bounty continues to play an important role in the Government's integrated approach to fox and wild dog control, in combination with other control methods such as trapping and ground baiting.

"As I've said before, the only good fox is a dead fox so the removal of more than 133,000 of these destructive pests from Victoria's landscape is great news.

"The efforts of farmers and hunters who are supporting the bounty must be recognised, and the Victoria Coalition is most appreciative of their participation."

Mr Walsh said the contrast to the Coalition's successful bounty was the previous Labor government's failed Fox Stop that saw only 20,034 scalps collected over the life of the program.

The fox and wild dog bounty will continue over summer with some small changes to the collection schedule in regards to opening hours and frequency of collection days.

"The Government is conscious of ensuring administration costs related to the bounty are kept as low as possible, to enable the maximum amount of money to be returned directly to hunters," Mr Walsh said.

"Applications for bounty over summer are traditionally at lower levels, so collections will be suspended between January 1 and February 28, 2013.

"This won't restrict hunters' ability to continue hunting, as they can still hunt and collect eligible fox and wild dog body parts."

Mr Walsh said collection centres in Gippsland were receiving lower numbers than some other areas of the state, so collections in the region would align with hunter demand and occur every eight weeks instead of every four weeks.

"These changes are all about operating the bounty as efficiently and effectively as possible," Mr Walsh said.

"Keeping administrative costs to a minimum will maximise the number of Victorian farmers and hunters who benefit while also helping to reduce the devastating impact foxes and wild dogs have on livestock and wildlife."

Victorian landholders participating in the bounty are advised to check the amended details for collection days and opening hours over the summer period at www.dpi.vic.gov.au/bounty

The fox bounty is set at $10 per scalp, and the wild dog bounty is set at $50 per skin.

This is THE reason I'm looking at emigrating there. Go foxing enough, live off the bounty.

John @ $10 a scalp you can soon cover you ammo costs if you get a few , wild dogs ?? i take it we are talking about dingo crosses

10 80 must be cheaper

Deer Dog Available
    Just hot off the press, the dog bounty has been doubled to $100...and yes they are feral dog/dingo hybrids.

Griffshrek,yes but back 30 years ago those same foxes brought 30 plus dollars until the greens came along and destroyed the fur wearing trade rendering the Aussie shooter no incentive to spotlight night after night. The gov may crow about how successful their schemes are today but they are not a patch on the days of dollars with the enormous numbers of foxes killed.

The greens? Well they dont want to hear about how they, through their actions unleashed what was once a well maintained population of fox`s that became hundreds of thousands onto Aus native animals not to mention the lambs/poultry indudtries.

সাম্বার হরিণ

Deer Dog Available
    Sunday, 13 January 2013

The Victorian Coalition Government is doubling its bounty on wild dog pelts from $50 to $100 to provide additional incentive for hunters to shoot the destructive pests.

Agriculture and Food Security Minister Peter Walsh said the Coalition Government recognised the devastating impact wild dogs had on livestock and the significance of the problems they caused for farmers, particularly in North East Victoria and Gippsland.

"The vicious and extremely difficult to hunt pests prey on vulnerable livestock, particularly newborn lambs and calves, wandering mostly North East Victoria and Gippsland in search of their next meal," Mr Walsh said.

"It is not only a financial burden but also a trauma for farmers to find their animals suffering, or killed, from a wild dog attack. Wild dogs also prey on native animals, particularly around National Parks.

"The Coalition Government wants to provide additional incentives for hunters to get out and help reduce wild dog numbers, and to recognise the time and skill involved in shooting the cunning pests," Mr Walsh said.

"I've said before that the only good fox is a dead fox. Well, the only thing better than a dead fox is a dead wild dog.

"The only way we can make a significant impact on wild dogs is through a co-ordinated effort by the Coalition Government, communities and landholders.

"The Coalition Government has responded to community needs and significantly bolstered control measures during 2012, including community baiting programs, increased ground baiting, and baiting deeper into public land.

"Increasing the wild dog bounty to $100 is another step in our fight against wild dogs in Victoria," Mr Walsh said

The Coalition Government's four-year $4 million bounty on foxes and wild dogs was introduced in October 2011 and has seen 430 wild dog pelts and more than 133,000 fox scalps handed in so far.

"There has been an overwhelming response from Victorian hunters to the fox and wild dog bounty, with more than 3,000 hunters taking part across the state," Mr Walsh said.

The increased wild dog bounty will begin when collections resume in March 2013. For more information visit www.dpi.vic.gov.au/bounty

সাম্বার হরিণ

Thanks for the update John. At $100 /£65 per wild dog pelt & $10/£6.5 per fox it wouldn't take many to cover the beers

do the goverment employ vermin killers or are they amature blokes keen to have a go

Deer Dog Available
    Basically anyone with a firearms licence (or traps) can cash in. The Vic Gov (and others) has pro doggers that work year round also,especially in Nth Eastern Vic.

সাম্বার হরিণ

err , dogging means something else over here ! but i would think alot of blokes would apply for a pro doggers job