Swazi Tahr smock

jackfish

Hi folks,

Anybody using one of these jackets, whats your thoughts on them? Do they have a silent material, waterproof etc etc.

Thanks

Bryan

I Hope you don't mind a slight hijac to this, but they appear the same largely as Ridgeline monsoon smocks, which I have, which is silent and waterproof, if not quite as breathable as you might hope, but I'd love to know if anyone has directly compared the two side by side for a comparison as the price difference is huge!

Have used one for the last four seasons, have found it a very good jacket have given it a lot of use. It is breathable i use the swazi base and mid layers with it. One thing is to wash it, i treat it then with nikkawax. A lad i know has the ridgleline and says it does not breath great.
The material is very quiet, have it in tussock green find it a good color for the hill.

I would definitely recomend the thar, looking at getting another one.

wicklow202

Bryan

I have one of the new Aegis fabric Tahr jackets and highly recommend them.

Very waterproof and quiet, I have stalked into within 15 yards of Roe crawling with it on so that is good enough for me!

Nearly all my stalking gear is Swazi now, it is still made in NZ and the build quality is second to none.

I have a Severn top which is now over 8 years old and refuses to show any signs of age.

The binocular pocket on the Tahr and Severn tops is very useful and keeps your binos handy but out the way for when you are crawling.

Delivery time from NZ is usually within a fortnight, it is well worth joining Clan Swazi (free) as they will send you a Swazi voucher on your birthday which meant in my case postage from NZ was only £10!

In the really cold weather I layer my Tahr with an Icebreaker 200 base, Swazi Pro hunter shirt and Tahr on top, perfect for lowland wanders and having carried out two good sized Roe in my roesack, breathability is excellent.

In summer months I switch to the Severn top but at this time of year the Tahr is first class.

Kind regards

Ben

Had one for nearly 5 years and it has been hard use, its quiet, proper water proof and comfy in any position from canoeing across arctic lakes to sitting hight seats I've had a lot of waterproof jackets over the years and this is a class above if you actually value staying dry.
Ive used it in harsh conditions in Sweden, Greenland, NZ and Finland and its never missed a beat. A friend has the ridgeline and to compare them is the equivalent of comparing Hawke glass with that of Swaro!

You wont be disappointed

I have both the molesworth and seven fleeces and they are both 6 years old with little sign of ware.
highly rate the Swazi clothing.

Had my Tahr for 5 years... Cant praise it highly enough. Only shame is Swazi has stopped making it in Goretex.

Now on my second Severn after the first one was nicked!

All the swazi kit I have is well made and practical, shame there is no UK stockist who stocks whole product range.

Regards

Ed

Back