View Poll Results: How often do you take home at least one of the deer you've shot to eat?

Voters
199. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

4 2.01%
  • 1-25% of the time

24 12.06%
  • 26-50% of the time

22 11.06%
  • 51-75% of the time

37 18.59%
  • Always

112 56.28%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll for recreational stalkers: how many of you take home the deer you shoot to eat?

Poll for recreational stalkers: how many of you take home the deer you shoot to eat?

Good morning again.

This is a sort of control poll for the one aimed at stalkers who take out clients, or rather it's the other way around. I make a point of eating all the game and fish that I shoot or catch. I intend to do the same with deer, and to that end will try and limit myself to the smaller species as I cannot realistically process and store the larger ones. I realise there are practical limitations to this to do with storage and transport. Also, if you shoot more than one deer, it wouldn't be reasonable to expect people to eat the lot of them. It's a lot of meat! Hopefully you're shooting with a proper deer manager, and you're helping out with the cull, even if you don't eat the deer.

From a personal perspective though, fieldsports and food are intimately linked, and I'd even go so far as to say that it's the fact that we eat the quarry that makes it OK to do what we do. But I don't know how universal this feeling is. This isn't a poll on feelings though, it's about your actions.

Never- as I didn't have the facilities or the know how on breaking a carcass down but still enjoy deer stalking as a hobby/sport so felt until better understanding in butchery would leave it with pro-stalker.

David

Depends if Ive freezer space, theres only so much Venison a freezer can hold.

nutty

I can safely say that 100% I take the carcass - although... Having been out with a mate a dozen times, I got my first - on my tod - on Saturday. I had always said that my first was MINE so - back to his larder it goes, where I shall butcher it and take all the meat home.

In the future this won't be the case. The carcass is his because its his permission and he lets me go on. The outlay was his so he should be able to recoup his money from the beasts shot. I will take some as I need it and pay the going rate.

I would have shouted about it on SD and posted a picture but ... after the shot - where I kept thinking to myself "it hasn't gone yet - it's still there! " I was so concerned about the gralloch that I only took a quick and frankly crappy picture to wind my mate up and got down to work. And for a first time - did a pertty good job ...although very very slow

Quote Originally Posted by davidm View Post
    Never- as I didn't have the facilities or the know how on breaking a carcass down but still enjoy deer stalking as a hobby/sport so felt until better understanding in butchery would leave it with pro-stalker.

David
    It isnt rocket science, plnety tips on you tube, then theres trial and error.

nutty

I wouldn't be able to eat everything I shoot, I give a few back to my landlords as payment for stalking rights and gift a few more out to worthy people then sell the rest.

Fair enough! It still gets eaten! I've never "dismantled" a deer, but if one assumes that all the bits are the same in a bigger format as on a rabbit or hare, and that the individual pieces are about the same as joints of lamb, it really can't be that hard, given that I can deal quite happily with the aforementioned. It will take a bit of exploration and experimentation, but it should be fine. I've installed a recyled brass curtain rail to the roof of my shed to hang deer from. It's a low-ish shed, so skinning will have to be done on my knees, but then it's only for occasional use.

When/if it happens, I'll post photos!

I much prefer to have a decent carcase rather than have a trophy. atb Tim

No it's not rocket science your correct and I will give it a go as I have seen a demonstration taking part in it also.so any I shot will be giving it a try.

David

I process my own... I bought a double door Lucozade fridge off eBay within which I have hung 2 Roe (with space for a Muntie). I then butcher them myself, and have a small box freezer.

The livers go to my Mum who makes pate, and I let friends and family have a leg or filet if I'm feeling generous:-) Everything else goes to feed the family as it's such good meat and I know the provenance (to a point, anyway).

Cheers
    i.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)