Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where Now

Where Now

Well i was thinking of what happens after you get to Lev 2 and that cert falls on the door MAT. Every one thinks that's the end and in truth it could for some be the start. I was thinking of proposing a day were Lev 2 (Left behind sometimes in the clamour for education) Can talk and ask the industry questions on what happens now eg leases contracting private woodlands etc etc .
    Any one with thoughts on this please place them up.
    Last edited by 6pointer; 11-01-2013 at 14:59.

That's sound really interesting as I've got my level 2 but don't seem to be getting any further on in the industry with it. Would be nice to see what doors open up to you with level 2 and any further deer management knowledge would be great as I'm still a bit wet around the ears

regards bob

Well, there is always something like this - The British Deer Society - BDS Deer Management Course

I am still ticking over the idea of leaving work to do a land/game management course at one of the agricultural colleges and combine that with DSC1 (which I have), DSC2 (which I will need to get) and a deer management qualification to get into the industry somewhere at some point in the future.
    Beretta Silver Pigeon 20 Bore
    Browing X-Bolt Stainless Stalker - 30-06
    Countryside Management Diary - http://www.leagueofwrath.co.uk/cmblog/

Quote Originally Posted by adjman View Post
    Well, there is always something like this - The British Deer Society - BDS Deer Management Course

I am still ticking over the idea of leaving work to do a land/game management course at one of the agricultural colleges and combine that with DSC1 (which I have), DSC2 (which I will need to get) and a deer management qualification to get into the industry somewhere at some point in the future.
    Sounds like a brilliant idea! I just wish my wife worked hard enough for me to be able to do that.... lazy so and so

Davie do you mean something like this http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...ther-education I am looking forward to seeing how this develops.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

John as you know i work on a cost effective form of education Free is good . No i am talking about trying to get a few of the heads of departments to talk to candidates that have work there ass off getting trained up and telling them what they now might gain from there new qualification.
    EG FC,s Scottish woodlands . Till hill, They can let the trained hunters know what avenues there is for them.
    Lease , protection , Small contracts , large contracts. Private stalking ,Group permissions , Guide stalking ,

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Well i was thinking of what happens after you get to Lev 2 and that cert falls on the door MAT. Every one thinks that's the end and in truth it could for some be the start. I was thinking of proposing a day were Lev 2 (Left behind sometimes in the clamour for education) Can talk and ask the industry questions on what happens now eg leases contracting private woodlands etc etc .
    Any one with thoughts on this please place them up.
    Level 3 will be next. Some bright spark will invent it to keep themselves in a job.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

What are most people hoping to get out of DSC1 and DSC2?, is it because they fear that they will HAVE to have DSC1 in order to secure the grant/renewal of FAC's? Is it just for their own personal development, is it because they feel it will increase their chances of gaining access to stalking? Or is it because they feel it will help them get a career in deer &/or wildlife management?

I'd be interested to know where most people hope it will lead???

Regards,

Mike.
    (Director - Jelen Deer Services) Jelen Deer

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    If the truth be known then there is not a lot of point in getting trained to a higher level.
    Lets be honest. Jobs in the deer sector are like hens teeth and those that there are, are normally dead mans boots.
    It's all one big con.

1st they tell you you need NSCC ( got that ) in the early 90s.
    2nd then Advanced SCC ( got that ) 1st time without tutoring unlike 50% of the candidates
    3rd RAC Cirencester Deer course ( got that ) passed no problem
    4th BASC Woodland Stalking (got that ) no problem

Did all these only to be told "Oh no you now need to do DSC1 and 2 and that'll cost you £££?"
    Where exactly has it got me, 1x FC interview because I hounded the FC Ranger to death. Why didn't I get the job. Well I didn't have a degree having done a thesis on some rare butterfly that hatches once on a Wednesday every 10 years. Silly me for neglecting to be prepared. Perhaps I should have drilled a hole in my groin, painted my skin a different color and called myself an ethnic minority. Job sorted on grounds of positive discrimination.

Please, please don't fool yourselves.
    Get your level 1 to get your FAC.
    Get your level 2 to further educate yourself.
    You are 99.9% not going to get a job because of what you know, you will get a job by being in the right place at the right time and knowing the right people. The same could be said of winning the lottery using lucky dip
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Level 1/2 wee done for my own personal gain to futher my self and knowledge, also in help gaining stalking. With a possibility in career but not holding my breath,but if it comes up a would take it, but also quiet happy in my current career.