Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nissan Torreno.

Nissan Torreno.

Hi.
    Could I have your views please on using a Nissan Torreno 4x4 for a little off road work, i.e, up and down a few farm tracks up and over a few hills on the farm.
    Would anyone know if these vehicles are any good for light off road use.

Or could anyone recommend a decent 4x4, not the run of the mill Defender though ?

Regards.
    Brighteyes

terrano's are ok but my father has had two and both have had problems with burning smells coming from the 4x4, when engaged, at 110k plus. A lot of people give the Jimmny a brilliant right up if space is not a real issue

A farmer mate of mine has a SWB Terrano commercial that gets a lot of off-road use, no major issues as far as I'm aware.

I have a '99 LWB Terrano that is my shooting truck, currently has c. 118k on the clock; I've had it for 2 1/2 years, and in that time it's needed a new back section of exhaust, new fuel lines after the originals corroded - and the heater control resistor has just failed (heater blower still works, but only on 'maximum'). I like it, plenty of room for dogs, guns, boots, etc, but not like driving a sit-on lawnmower for comfort. Your ears aren't ringing after a jaunt up the motorway, and the windscreen will actually demist when required!

As an alternative, and it you could manage with a smaller 4x4, a few years ago I had a Daihatsu Sportrak, and that was a great little 4x4.
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

I`m touching wood here but my Suzuki Grand Vitara 2Ltr petrol has just gone through its 6th straight MOT. Apart from the usuals it hasn`t cost me a penny. For the average little run around i`m well chuffed.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    A local lad has one here and likes it for working on/around the farm, but says its very very thirsty,

he also says he gets a hot oil smell when running in 4 wheel drive almost like some part of the drive system gets hot when in use,

looks a nice spacious wagon but the cost of the spares and the fuel makes me stay away.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Had one in van style for 2 yrs great truck on and off road, fuel is what you would expect off a 2.7 turbo, have a jeep pioneer van now2.8cdi van great on and off road as well. But better because you have five doors, saves reaching to the front.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    I`m touching wood here but my Suzuki Grand Vitara 2Ltr petrol has just gone through its 6th straight MOT. Apart from the usuals it hasn`t cost me a penny. For the average little run around i`m well chuffed.
    Hi All
    I too have a Suzuki Grand Vitara but a 1600 petrol i have had it over 10 years it is on its 2nd battery it has had new tyres and wiper blades.It is still on the original exhaust,it gets cleaned every february after the shooting season is finished whether it needs it or not.Done 105000 milesand has been serviced after the first year about 5 times it has been a brilliant truck and it gets used for lamping across all types of terrain regularly
    Geordie
    PS I forgot 2 headlight bulbs and a brake light bulb
    Last edited by geordieh; 11-01-2013 at 17:24.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by geordieh View Post
    Hi All
    I too have a Suzuki Grand Vitara but a 1600 petrol i have had it over 10 years it is on its 2nd battery it has had new tyres and wiper blades.It is still on the original exhaust,it gets cleaned every february after the shooting season is finished whether it needs it or not.Done 105000 milesand has been serviced after the first year about 5 times it has been a brilliant truck and it gets used for lamping across all types of terrain regularly
    Geordie
    PS I forgot 2 headlight bulbs and a brake light bulb

3 suzuki users,

need to be careful some may want to join us.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

I have a 2003 Terrano LWB 2.7 Turbo diesel, 67k miles and touch wood all I have done is put a new battery on it in over 2 years. As Merlin says lots of room.

I haven't abused it but the off road work I have done with it is has coped very well with. I haven't had any problems in 4wd unlike some of the other guys.

My uncle got one and it get's over the maize fields fine even after they've been cut up by the contractors. He doesn't have mug gripper tyres on either. It does only do about 30mpg but you can't drag all that weight about and still do 50 mpg! The transmissions can wind up in 4x4 but this is often because folk dont change the oil in the limited slip diffs often enough. Same on my navara when it starts not to come straight out of 4x4 but takes a little while I just change the diff oil and it then just comes out straight away.
    For the money they seem ok to me.