Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: 6.5x55 N160 and 120gr sierra SP.

  1. #1

    6.5x55 N160 and 120gr sierra SP.

    As title says, does anyone use this combo?

    I'm new to reloading and this is what i have, I havent tried any yet but have got a few load manuals to get some ideas.

    will be used on Roe and fox.

    Any help will be most appreciated.

  2. #2
    Liam,

    New to reloading myself, in my 6.5x55 I use the following- 49.5 grains of n160, nosler 120bt's, oal 3.01". sub 3/4 inch grouping @100yrds ( good enough for my needs)

    Great on fox and Roe, meat damage acceptable IMO.

    Regards

    John

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by J o h n View Post
    Liam,

    New to reloading myself, in my 6.5x55 I use the following- 49.5 grains of n160, nosler 120bt's, oal 3.01". sub 3/4 inch grouping @100yrds ( good enough for my needs)

    Great on fox and Roe, meat damage acceptable IMO.

    Regards

    John
    49.5 grains!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    49.5 grains!
    I've had a look in the manuals and 49.5 grains does seem high? but if it works for you

    i'm thinking of starting 45.5-46 grains and working up.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    I've had a look in the manuals and 49.5 grains does seem high? but if it works for you

    i'm thinking of starting 45.5-46 grains and working up.
    I just started working up a similar load with Hornady 120gn AMax...
    i.e. Cases: Rem. F/L sized 2.161", 46gn Vit. N160, Fed210 primer, OAL 3.0"/Comparator 2.503"

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.5x55SE.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	23345
    This is the result of the first test Using a Tikka 6.5x55. No pressure signs at all. ATB
    Last edited by deeangeo; 11-01-2013 at 22:30.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

  6. #6
    N160 and a 120 gr head though a 6.5 x 55 is a very good combination. I originally used 120gr Noslers which produced very accurate rounds, then switched to 120 gr Sierra Pro Hunters finding that I had to increase powder by 1 gr and alter distance from the lands to obtain the same accurate results.

    Below are a sample of my rifle and other peoples 6.5 s I reload for. You will note from them that I have ignored the myth that to get a rifle to shoot accurately you have to be within 40 thou of the lands








  7. #7
    120g nosler 45.5 nv160 under half inch grouping 6.5 x 55 sako 85 set 100mtr

    My rifle likes this combination don't use anything else now


    ATB


    Phil

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
    N160 and a 120 gr head though a 6.5 x 55 is a very good combination. I originally used 120gr Noslers which produced very accurate rounds, then switched to 120 gr Sierra Pro Hunters finding that I had to increase powder by 1 gr and alter distance from the lands to obtain the same accurate results.

    Below are a sample of my rifle and other peoples 6.5 s I reload for. You will note from them that I have ignored the myth that to get a rifle to shoot accurately you have to be within 40 thou of the lands







    My FN 6.5x55 custom shoots groups like yours with 120 grain BTHP's and mine also are seated "deep". I started with the boat tail protruding down into the shoulder and stayed there. Superb accuracy. Like yours, I might add. Congrats on a good job reloading and delivering the goods on paper.~Muir

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    49.5 grains!
    The vihtavuorire loading guide Ed.10 (2012) states the max load @ 50.7grs I started @46grs and worked up in small increments. Are you implying that this load might be dangerous,, as stated I am new to reloading and open to listen.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by J o h n View Post
    The vihtavuorire loading guide Ed.10 (2012) states the max load @ 50.7grs I started @46grs and worked up in small increments. Are you implying that this load might be dangerous,, as stated I am new to reloading and open to listen.

    The online Vit Manual states 46.5 as the max. If the book says different it would suggest the book is either up to date or incorrect? There is obviously some confusion with the two data sources! Stay safe!!

Similar Threads

  1. 6.5x55 tikka t3 with 120gr nosler balistic tip
    By david1976 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-01-2013, 13:16
  2. viht n160 with hornady 140gr sp
    By bairn79 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-12-2012, 17:37
  3. Swap Federal Premium - 120gr Sierra Gameking BTSP
    By Deer Assassin in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18-04-2012, 15:46
  4. .25-06 120gr Sierra Gameking BTSP
    By Deer Assassin in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-03-2012, 20:23
  5. *SOLD* Norma 6.5x55 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip ammunition
    By Dalua in forum Firearms
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 14-12-2011, 11:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •