Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Screaming foxes everwhere!

Screaming foxes everwhere!

Went out last night with the lamp, only to walk a couple of fields to find the new batteries in the caller were actully flat . We decided to carry on anyway with no vixen or dog call. It soon became apparent that every bl**dy fox in the area was in full cry. What made it worse was having walked and squeaked across 400 odd acres we hadn't picked up a single set of eyes.
    Do you think foxes are that focused on the art of love they are less likely to look at a lamp. Or is it just proof of the population that nowadays is becoming ever harder pick up with the lamp?

Is night vision/thermal now imperative to successfull fox control???

Quote Originally Posted by Munty_Hunter View Post
    Is night vision/thermal now imperative to successful fox control???
    It is for me!

They just arent interested in the squeak at the moment, if anything scares them off

The seasons vary and so does the foxes priorities especially about now, best to put some extra time in and watch an area and the foxes that are working it.
    Pin point cross over points and if you can put a bait point out and watch, build a pattern

Don't expect a fox every time, every outing is a learning outing

You will get more of the problem foxes by ambush rather than adhoc lamping. Waiting for Charlie to bring himself into an area under his own steam and chilled out is worth the extra time and effort.
    Keep the areas rested, quiet and use a lamp as least as possible to reap the rewards.

I use NV binos and a laser light that fits the scope size to minimise the illumination if the scope won't pick it up on its own. This set up works brilliantly for me especially if you can apply a bit of field craft to get the best possible position. Lamp shy or stressed foxes will wait in the shadows until it is perfect for them. No calling no lamping the stealth approach will prove itself on merit and the ones you get are well worth it

Slow and steady will catchee monkey

Good luck

Phil
    Last edited by philip; 12-01-2013 at 00:21.

Quote Originally Posted by philip View Post
    The seasons vary and so does the foxes priorities especially about now, best to put some extra time in and watch an area and the foxes that are working it.
    Pin point cross over points and if you can put a bait point out and watch, build a pattern

Don't expect a fox every time, every outing is a learning outing

You will get more of the problem foxes by ambush rather than adhoc lamping. Waiting for Charlie to bring himself into an area under his own steam and chilled out is worth the extra time and effort.
    Keep the areas rested, quiet and use a lamp as least as possible to reap the rewards.

I use NV binos and a laser light that fits the scope size to minimise the illumination if the scope won't pick it up on its own. This set up works brilliantly for me especially if you can apply a bit of field craft to get the best possible position. Lamp shy or stressed foxes will wait in the shadows until it is perfect for them. No calling no lamping the stealth approach will prove itself on merit and the ones you get are well worth it

Slow and steady will catchee monkey

Good luck

Phil
    spot on sir

I agree but no one has time to do baiting and waiting about if you're trying to control over thousands of acres. I have night vision and am always amazed how many more seem to be seen with NV. My suspision is that more and more foxes are becoming intolerant to the lamp, is it due to bad lamping techniques or inherited wariness.

Quote Originally Posted by Munty_Hunter View Post
    I agree but no one has time to do baiting and waiting about if you're trying to control over thousands of acres. I have night vision and am always amazed how many more seem to be seen with NV. My suspision is that more and more foxes are becoming intolerant to the lamp, is it due to bad lamping techniques or inherited wariness.
    Your bang on the money. Bad lamping and technique is making the job a nightmare. I bait areas then put trail cameras on it once its been used. This gives me a rough time at what time they are feeding. Then get there hour before they are showing and wait it out. My camera has SMS on it so once it goes off you can get down on rifle and your lamp is only on for 5 seconds. Had great success with this method

If you cut the bait up into small pieces and then distribute it over a wide area, the foxes have to spend a lot of time sniffing it out. That holds them there for some time which means you don't have to hang around waiting. You can, for example, go off and do a roving patrol across several other bait spots, only coming back when it suits you.

I'm just getting started with the Thermal. Damn it's good. Didn't use my nv spotter once last night. Only problem was no Charlie about. But the farmer is happy with that.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

We were out a few nights ago foxs calling drop a night dog foxs then bumped into farmer so he was happy. Just waiting for Lamping gear to charge then back out again love this time of year