Thread: Hi from Gloucestershire

Hi from Gloucestershire

I live on a small farm near Painswick. Have had a .22 for ten years for rabbit and vermin control, and had some experience with a .22/250.

Having witnessed a steady increase in the Roe population, and with Fallow not far away, I decided to take an equivalent DSC1 course with Wilf Ashman, owner of Country Pursuits in Cricklade. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing the deer, but I think their numbers should be kept in check, plus it will keep the larder topped up. I enjoy being as self-sufficient as possible.

Originally applied for a .243, but Wilf advised 6.5x55 or .270, especially for the Fallow. After a long wait my FAC came yesterday, with permission for a 6.5. For the last couple of months, I had been looking for a good used rifle, scope, moderator combination, or considering a new Howa 1500. As it happens, Wilf had a little used Tikka T3 hunter with S&B 8x56, Reflex T8 mod, sling and Harris bipod. Did a good deal on that, and in the afternoon had a vixen with my very first shot. ( He had assured me it was zeroed at 100 yrds )

Over the last few months, I have been dipping into your forum for words of wisdom. I'm afraid I'm not a prolific poster on forums. As a keen biker, I'm on several club/forums, but don't post much on them either.

Very pleased with the rifle combo. The T8 is 'as new', so no corrosion yet. Might change it for a lighter A-Tec at some stage, although it is well balanced with the T8. Looked at a similar combo in Warwickshire, but the balance was out of kilter because of the light synthetic stock.

I am aware that you don't get the range of choice in 6.5 Swedish ammo as you do in .243. Trying Norma, Hornady and Prvi to see which works best.

Regards,

Chris

Welcome Chris. Great result with the new rifle. Wish you all the best with reducing the numbers. Some great ground down your way. I get down there myself on occasion and love the rolling hlls and small pockets of woodland.
    Happy hunting.

Welcome to the site,

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Hi Chris

Another new member with a 6.5x55... It's catching:-)

Cheers
    i.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Welcome chris! Not too far from me.. I work just down the hill in Cheltenham...
    Kind regards, Jez
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

Welcome from another newbie to the site