FAC Wording

Lucky Sniper

Need help folks.

I have just received my licence for .243 the wording is as follows

bla bla bla bla shall be used for DEER STALKING bla bla bla bla. Whilst DEER STALKING the weopon may also be used for the control of FOXES as neccessary.

Does this mean I have to be out Deer stalking to take foxes or can I be out just hunting FOXES?

It says... "whilst deer stalking"

I'd get that seen to, it's an outrageously impractical and unfair imposition.

That is exactly what it means. Have the same thing myself, from Lancashire.

Knackers you for lamping.

I've other rifles, so l live with it. Although I agree with Tamus and I would challenge it if I needed to.

hh

That is exactly what it means. Have the same thing myself, from Lancashire.

Knackers you for lamping.

I've other rifles, so l live with it. Although I agree with Tamus and I would challenge it if I needed to.

hh

Hmmm!

It knackers you for just going foxing when no deer are on the agenda.

I suppose in theory you could go lamping on a night shooting permit for deer and shoot foxes in the lamp that way.

But... the point is... they have given you your ticket, you have a gun, if it is felt that there is reason to believe you are unsafe they should not have let you have it at all. To then try and impose silly restrictions is well out of order.

I wonder, did you get "talked into" submitting an application in terms such that you appear to have put yourself in this position or did your ticket just land on your doormat like this, as a done deal and out of the blue?

If it was the former... that's perhaps tricky to sort, without spending money on a variation.

If it was the latter... I hope you have the sense to be a member of a shooting organisation, in which case take this straight to them for help.

Hmmm!

It knackers you for just going foxing when no deer are on the agenda.

I suppose in theory you could go lamping on a night shooting permit for deer and shoot foxes in the lamp that way.

But... the point is... they have given you your ticket, you have a gun, if it is felt that there is reason to believe you are unsafe they should not have let you have it at all. To then try and impose silly restrictions is well out of order.

I wonder, did you get "talked into" submitting an application in terms such that you appear to have put yourself in this position or did your ticket just land on your doormat like this, as a done deal and out of the blue?

If it was the former... that's perhaps tricky to sort, without spending money on a variation.

If it was the latter... I hope you have the sense to be a member of a shooting organisation, in which case take this straight to them for help.

My FEO came round and we chatted. I said I wanted it for Fox and deer as I now had 700 acres up in Scotland with deer rights. He said ok no problem. I am also a member of BASC

Need help folks.

I have just received my licence for .243 the wording is as follows

bla bla bla bla shall be used for DEER STALKING bla bla bla bla. Whilst DEER STALKING the weopon may also be used for the control of FOXES as neccessary.

Does this mean I have to be out Deer stalking to take foxes or can I be out just hunting FOXES?
What on earth has this got to do with crime prevention and public safety? Within the context of the 1968 FA are the police seriously suggesting that if you shoot a fox in identical circumstances whilst not deer stalking there is any matter of concern? This is quite ridiculous. atb Tim

Its really frustrating me this, and its a weekend so no one to talk to. I will need this cal more for foxes than deer. It's bonkers in my eyes. I have been told by a freind that The law changed last year. Fox are vermin, so you shoot them as such. But stalkers could not as they did not have this condition. You do for the 243, so can go foxing or shoot them whilst stalking but the condition on this cal does not make this black and white. If I am out at night hunting fox then according to this condition I should not have it with me as I would be a poacher stalking deer at night but as I cant get in touch with either of my FEO's I am going to have to stew all weekend!!! :(

Last edited:
Its really frustrating me this, and its a weekend so no one to talk to. I will need this cal more for foxes than deer. It's bonkers in my eyes. I have been told by a freind that The law changed last year. Fox are vermin, so you shoot them as such. But stalkers could not as they did not have this condition. You do for the 243, so can go foxing or shoot them whilst stalking but the condition on this cal does not make this black and white. If I am out at night hunting fox then according to this condition I should not have it with me as I would be a poacher stalking deer at night but as I cant get in touch with either of my FEO's I am going to have to stew all weekend!!! :(
Yes, in your circumstances I would certainly challenge this, although there is no statutory mechanism to appeal unreasonable conditions imposed by Chiefs of Police, which presumably encourages them to impose pettifoggingly stupid conditions to start with. Try also discussing it with firearms dept. at the Home Office first, sometimes this helps. atb Tim

Just spoke to my FEO and he is pretty certain that its a clerical error and should read Deer and Fox. I have to call FAD on Monday and arrange for the licence to be sent back to them for it changing

Just spoke to my FEO and he is pretty certain that its a clerical error and should read Deer and Fox. I have to call FAD on Monday and arrange for the licence to be sent back to them for it changing
Funny how often "clerical errors" occur, especially when you challenge some daft condition. atb Tim

why would they want to do that when I dont have those conditions on .22 or HMR, doesnt make any sense

coz the .243 goes a lot further than your rimfires! - if it's your first centre fire I wouldn't worry too much; they'll take it off next time you send your ticket in for something if you ask them.

I had the same thing to start a few years ago - the rationale was that I already had an hmr for lamping fox!!!

Thing is, with hindsight do I think it was a good idea to stop me shooting my centre fire at night until I was used to hunting with it in the day?... Yeah probably was quite sensible actually!

They're not all out to get us you know - just be patient and ask them to change it at ur next variation or renewal

coz the .243 goes a lot further than your rimfires! - if it's your first centre fire I wouldn't worry too much; they'll take it off next time you send your ticket in for something if you ask them.

I had the same thing to start a few years ago - the rationale was that I already had an hmr for lamping fox!!!

Thing is, with hindsight do I think it was a good idea to stop me shooting my centre fire at night until I was used to hunting with it in the day?... Yeah probably was quite sensible actually!

They're not all out to get us you know - just be patient and ask them to change it at ur next variation or renewal

I agree with parts of this however you may have missed the point. The purpose of the 243 is primarily for fox and the occasional deer stalking. Reading the condition I can shoot fox whilst out deer stalking. My deer stalking is in Scotland and my fox shooting in England. Anyway as said in above post I have spoke to my FEO and it should be sorted monday.

Last edited:
Back