Legal eagles- a moderator question

teyhan1

I recently acquired ( from a very well known gunshop ) a .243 Weatherby and with it bought a new JetZ moderator. Both were on ticket and legally bought. I already have a T8 moderator which is on ticket as a .308 mod. I have just found out that they have sold me a .308 mod. Clearly marked on the box as a .30 cal mod but entered on my ticket as a .243 mod.
This was bought to my attention as my friends T3 is a lot quieter than my rifle.
Legally where do I stand as I now seem to own 2x .30 cal mods with only 1x allowed on ticket

Big fat grey area here...

1) I think if the mod is marked .30 cal (and not just necessarily by the words .30 cal as some have markings e.g. Wildcat have slots) you have a 'firearms legislation' argument to state that you were sold something other than what your certificate states.

2) Some mods are naturally more efficient when they are calibre specific (i.e. the bore is as close to the nominal bore of the rifle as possible) in which case you have a 'sales of goods' argument that you were sold something other than advertised/totally fit for purpose.

In either case I think your first port of call should be the RFD to see what they say and take it from there...

I have an A-Tec Maxim that was sold to me as an 'Authorised to acquire .222 moderator' and it is marked as a 6.5mm cal mod.
I did query this with Jacksons the importer, the 'phone call was not specifically about this, but during the conversation I mentioned it and was told that the Moderator was made and tested for firearms up to calibre 6.5mm so was safe to use on a .222 calibre rifle. I was happy anyway and only mentioned it in passing so that was the answer.

From my understanding now JetZ only make two moderators. One is for calibres upto 6.5 and one for .30 calibre. The .30 cal will therefore as mentioned on their site be not as efficient in noise reduction.
However it still leaves me with a moderator which I guess technically is designed for use in a more powerful rifle.
Think I'll phone the FEO on Monday as I'd prefer to keep the JetZ, which then leads me onto my next question.

If I dump my .30 cal T8 and use my JetZ for both my SIG (.308) and my Weatherby (.243) how do I enter this on my ticket?

It's not the mod that is calibre'd - it's the rifle it's purchased for. You don't own 2 x .30 cal mods, you own a centre fire mod for your .243 and a centrefire mod for your .308! (Legally speaking).

my first 17hmr mod was a .22 sak mod; it says ".17 mod" on my ticket - not an error, but rather a case of that mod being a sec 1 mod that I have licenced for that calibre.

my next mod will be a .30 cal sl5, for my 7mm - it will be recorded as a "7mm-08 moderator" as again it is the gun it's licenced for rather than the size of the mods hole!!!

As for mods being quieter when the correct size, yes slightly but not massively! Also when that tight you start to notice accuracy is quicker to deteriorate when the mod gets dirty than with less tight mods. This is more of a problem with some cals than others though.

Shouldn't be a problem at all.

The ASE will have some etchings on it at the threaded end, including calibre, and manufacture date.

It is quite common to be in the scenario you describe. The moderator is not more powerful as you put it, it simply has a bigger hole, and there is now legal limits on hold large the hole can be for a certain calibre.

Shouldn't be a problem at all.

The ASE will have some etchings on it at the threaded end, including calibre, and manufacture date.

It is quite common to be in the scenario you describe. The moderator is not more powerful as you put it, it simply has a bigger hole, and there is now legal limits on hold large the hole can be for a certain calibre.

I agree with this post. In relation to the firearms licensing aspect of the original question, there should not be an issue. Specifying a calibre is more about relating a moderator to a particular rifle and administrative convenience on the National Firearms Licensing Management System (NFLMS) than any other aspect.
In a situation where a certificate holder wishes to use a moderator on more than one rifle, I have applied the following in the conditions to assist.....'The .308 sound moderator may also be used with the 30-06 and .243 rifles ' (for example). I think having something similar would help to allay any fears of falling foul of the law.
However in view of the differences in police forces, I think the original poster is sensible to consult the firearms unit.

Last edited:
Teyhan, i would be asking for an excahnge more so because the model supplied to you is less suitable for moderating noise then anything to do with licensing conditions.

Ian.

I recently acquired ( from a very well known gunshop ) a .243 Weatherby and with it bought a new JetZ moderator. Both were on ticket and legally bought. I already have a T8 moderator which is on ticket as a .308 mod. I have just found out that they have sold me a .308 mod. Clearly marked on the box as a .30 cal mod but entered on my ticket as a .243 mod.
This was bought to my attention as my friends T3 is a lot quieter than my rifle.
Legally where do I stand as I now seem to own 2x .30 cal mods with only 1x allowed on ticket
e.

Unlawful possession of a Section 1 Firearm = Absolute offence.

Kiss your ass goodbye.

It seems to me that under the Sale of Goods Act you have been sold an item not as permitted on your permit and therefore technically `unfit for purpose`.
In my opinion you should have every right to return it to your supplier and either get your money back or be supplied the correct item.

HWH.

I have a 25-06 rifle, a 30-06 rifle and a .30 calibre sound moderator but there's no mention on my ticket as to which rifle it's to be used with. Incidently the T8 mod came from a large well known local gun shop and was purchased for my 25-06. When I pointed out to them that it said .30 cal on the end they said "we only get that calibre in and use it for all calibres of .30 or less"!!

I've one .30cal mod, which is in the slot for my .308, and a vacant slot for the .243 mod. My FO told me I was fine to use the mod on both rifles, as I asked the question at renewal. The mod is a Jet z, and there's not a noticable difference to my mates .25 cal mod on our .243's, certainly not enough to warrant buying another mod!
Kev.

I have just checked the T8 moderator on my .243 at the spout end.
A .243 bullet can be put in up to the case shoulder but a .30 calibre bullet cannot be fully entered even up to its neck so obviously there are moderators out there of different bore diameters.
Indiscriminately swapping them about will cause a nasty accident sometime.

HWH.

I have just checked the T8 moderator on my .243 at the spout end.
A .243 bullet can be put in up to the case shoulder but a .30 calibre bullet cannot be fully entered even up to its neck so obviously there are moderators out there of different bore diameters.
Indiscriminately swapping them about will cause a nasty accident sometime.

That was the other reason I oppted for one mod, would be nasty to accidently put a .25 cal mod on the .308!!
Kev.

http://www.aseutra.fi/jet-z-cqb-bl-and-cqbs-bl-product-codes

there are moderators that are the same but cover a few calibers etc.

eg: pes t 12 will cover from a 17 cal to a 308, and you will hear that it works well on a few in that spectrum, but to the human ear its hard to notice the true difference,

as in the link about ase also doe the sale mod, but it only cover a few calibres.

very clever indeed,

what you have to do with ase as an example id the exit hole in the mod IS NOT THE HOLE DIA YOU NEED TO CHECK, its the hole in the baffles on the inside that counts, and i think you will have to do the same with others.

the final exit hole on my jet z cqb is 6.75, but its only up to 223 as the internal baffle hole is smaller.

the final exit hole in my new sl5 is 7.?? (for got it ) but it is a .25 cal mod,

but if you read the link they tell you what cal the mod is best suited for etc.

so a HOLE lot of things have to be taken into consideration in the first place,

AS MENTIONED,1 mod 3 cals you have to have the mod that will fit the largest so that no matter what rifle you choose you are not going to have metal fragments whizzing alloberderplatz.

bob.
PS: if i was in the same position I would return to that well known shop and say.

Please can i have the same mod in the correct caliber as stated on my FAc.

thank you.

and smile while you say it, it does make a difference.

Last edited:
All of my mods are stated as full bore moderators on my ticket, not calibre specific, so can be interchanged between the different calibres i have if required.

atb blue.

Back