Thread: Very wary sika

Very wary sika

A couple of trail cam videos just to illustrate how wary they can be as if you didnt already relalise lol, cams had been in position for 4/6 weeks and caught many images of both deer and other wildlife but only the sika displayed such nervous behaviour to the cams, they obviously could smell my scent, some foxes showed similar behaviour but it wasn t as pronounced as these young stags makes you think just how difficult they are to stalk

Nice footage!

How long had it been since you had been near the camera?

I'm wondering if they could smell your scent or whether they had noticed the camera and were trying to sniff what it was...

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Nice footage!

How long had it been since you had been near the camera?

I'm wondering if they could smell your scent or whether they had noticed the camera and were trying to sniff what it was...

Alex
    Hi Alex am thinking they can smell my scent of the camera, cams had been out at least 4 weeks maybe 5/6 and where well hidden,have footage of wild soay sheep,fox,and domestic sheep but only a couple of fox give the area a note of caution, but nowhere near as much as the sika, heres a sika hind pulling on the brakes as she runs past the camera trigger time of the cam being in the region of 0.6 secs some thing made her pull on the brakes you decide truly love these little deer !!!!!!

Last edited by dlz90; 12-01-2013 at 23:52.

I'm fairly certain that some of the IR LED's shed visible light and can be seen by wildlife (ever noticed the SPECS average speed cameras on the motorway - the active ones glow red). I've got night footage taken in complete darkness of foxes reacting to the IR 'flash'.... but the daylight one presumably there is no visible signature to lock onto so I guess it must be something else!

I've also got stills of domestic cattle noticing a camera I thought was inconspicuous.... a shot of a cow clocking it, then stills of the cow getting nearer and nearer and finally ending up with a closeup of an eyeball and a tongue on the lens!

It seems like whenever deer notice something they can't ID they resort to smell, licking nostrils, smell again etc but I guess it's impossible to know for sure whether they smelled something first or were suspicious of something and then tried to smell it. Whatever it is they are certainly switched on to it!!