Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new licenses with gun numbers limited by size of cabinet?

new licenses with gun numbers limited by size of cabinet?

I heard an intresting thing today, some was telling me that the police/home office are tring to limit the number of guns you can buy due to the size of your cabinet. at the moment i beleave you can buy up to 10 shotguns with out any problems, but there saying if your cabinet holds 4, they will put 4 entries only on your shotgun cert, and if you have both fac and shotgun and a cabinet that holds 4, if your fac is 2 entries then you only get 2 entries for shotguns to.
    I do know west merica do question the size of the cabinet.
    just woundering if any one else has come across this befor, hopefully ive miss understud this

That's not new. When I got my cert with TVP a couple of years ago I was told that my cabinet could hold four weapons, and so if I wanted to hold more I would need more cabinet space.

really,
    do you agree with it

You will find that if you hold a high number of firearms you will be required to up the security to allow you to have more. Fairly standard things are the addition of an intruder alarm on the room that houses the cabinet.

I've always found that the practical capacity of a cabinet is actually less than its advertised capacity, especially with scoped rifles! But like many things firearms related, there seems to be no legal basis for placing such restrictions other than whether it can be considered that your 4 gun cabinet allows your firearms/shotguns to be "stored securely to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, unauthorised people taking or using them" but if you squeeze a fifth in there suddenly it doesn't?!

Also, as far as I am aware there is no legal mechanism for restricting 'slots' on a shotgun certificate.

Maybe an assumption has been made that the fifth won't physically fit and therefore you can't store it?

thats ture, as long as you can lock your guns in the cabinet, surly that is all that matters, and i assume people woudnt buy or add more guns if they couldnt store the safely in there cabinet.

I was in a position where I was given 3 shotguns at short notice by a relative leaving the country. At the time I had a 6 gun cabinet that was 'full'. I rang the police and asked if I can top and tail and squeeze 9 guns in a 6 gun cabinet - they said it was fine, they realised that you could get more than the manufacturers specified number in there. Just that I had to have them securely locked up.

I can promise you that 9 guns in a 6 gun cabinet is not fun. They fall out when you open the door - you cannot get to the one you want without removing 4 others and awful thoughts about not locking guns up creep into your mind. It really is not a good situation long term.

I very quickly fitted a second cabinet.

I would say that in any of my cabinets with scoped rifles they are fairly full - you wouldn't get much more in there.

Anyone starting out my advice is buy as big a cabinet as you can afford!

(started on a 3 gun, replaced with a 6 gun. Added a 5 gun. Extended the 5 gun to take 9 guns. Added another 5 gun. Now on 2 ammo safes and 2 cabinets with locking top boxes. It's an awful hobby........)

Between my wife and myself we have nearly 20 firearms and shotguns and no alarm. Low crime rate.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by jungle_re View Post
    You will find that if you hold a high number of firearms you will be required to up the security to allow you to have more. Fairly standard things are the addition of an intruder alarm on the room that houses the cabinet.
    That does not sound right to me, can you point me to a source?

On my last renewal/visit/inspection the officer looked at the ammo safe the Brattonsound five rifle cabinet and at the much stronger/heavier chest that I had made and said that she would put me down for up to twelve weapons. If I wanted to acquire more I would simply need more cabinet space.

Alan

i have no house alarm either, not sure if i really want one either tbh, is there anyway you can alarm your cabinet, do people break into them, ive heard of a few in the past.
    i was told with shotgun entries being limited, they are trying to link this to the size of your cabinet, i may well of miss understud this bit

i,ve got a 32 gun cabinet (shotguns) with 3 rifles and 1 shotgun in it, but my aim is to max it out 1 day
    stav
    if your going too be dumb you have too be tough