Now in response to wary sika not so wary sika

dlz90

Sika drive me nuts!!! some you can never never get within eyesight of then this lady, filmed with sony cybershot I was wearing milt sulps camo smock and trousers with bonnie hat and face veil was also down wind of the hind most of the time except for whifts of wind some times giving away my scent all together very intresting encounter hope you enjoy it as much as I did !!!!

Last edited:
I have never seen anything like that before!

Only thing I can think of to make this possible is this has been a reared hind from perhaps being an orphaned calf? I just cannot see how a wild deer, especially a Sika hind, would allow you to get that close. A friend of mine had one that used to sneak up behind the trout fishers at his loch and actually suck the water off their landing net mesh when they were standing at the waters edge. She had been found orphaned by the keeper on the estate and hand reared. She was as tame as any domesticated animal.

Regardless of the explanation very rare and outstanding footage.

Thought that was pretty good filming until I got to the end and saw how close it was! Thought you were going to reach out and touch it!! Single daft calf. Very very rare experience, hope you enjoyed!!

Amazing. I have come across deer before on our estate that clearly must never have encountered humans before. If you saw our 'spot' you'd understand. They just don't have any reference point. And if you don't seem threatening at all then you're perhaps just another animal to them. We do get the odd similar meeting to this, but never this close. 15 yards from a stag in broad daylight was pretty exceptional for us so you must be stoked with that meeting!

Chris

Thanks for all the very kind comments lads,was a truly wonderful experience the area where this was filmed is very well known to me, I grew up there and along with sika there are also fallow all wild deer, the area has a public right of way so the deer can become accustomed to people walking through but the behavivour of this lady was something totally different I look after a small enclosure of red deer some 18/20 and feed them in winter they see me every day but to get closer than say 10/15 meters just does not happen very often and never this close and they have got to know me very well indeed, after the battery of the camera ran out she continued to feed whilst keeping an eye in my direction slowly getting further away until she disappeared out of sight through the trees pure magic !!!!

Last edited:
Back