Level 1 shotgun cert

miffy

Yesterday I was out on a Pheasant shoot on FC land, only to find out that, last week a beater picked up a pellet or two.
Why is it that you need certifacates to shoot rifles,(on FC land) and not shotguns ?
It would be interesting to know who is the most dangerous, I know who I think is.
I'm sure most shotgun shooters have come across this at some point.
Not having a go, but is it fair ?

Gary, had spent shot in the corner of an eye once, out on the duck flight ponds........ not sure how much it needs not to hurt to be classed as "spent":eek:, I would reckon what you mention will be forthcoming soon anyway. See you on the bus!!!!!:lol:

A friend of mine nearly lost his sight 2 yrs ago, low gun onto a hedge and him working his spaniel the other side. Jumpy shooter. Last year a local clay club had an incident with a semi-auto. Someone badly hurt. I have seen some complete idiots safety wise on some of the clay shoots recentl, Quite scary having closed guns pointed at you :eek: and not just the odd one, two from the same group.

Slightly off topic, but Exactly the reason i have started wearing glasses this season !!!!

It amazes me that any gun program in the states they all don hearing protection and glasses, but yet here you very rarely see glasses worn.

A friend of mine nearly lost his sight 2 yrs ago, low gun onto a hedge and him working his spaniel the other side. Jumpy shooter. Last year a local clay club had an incident with a semi-auto. Someone badly hurt. I have seen some complete idiots safety wise on some of the clay shoots recentl, Quite scary having closed guns pointed at you :eek: and not just the odd one, two from the same group.

When I joined a local shoot as a newby beater 5 years ago, some of the beaters got peppered several times over a succession of shoot days. I was quite surprised to find closed and loaded guns were carried around, between drives, over the shoulder and pointing backwards at the soft bits of everybody else. Guns were crossing public roads and walking along public roads without putting the gun in a slip. Guns would climb over stiles and fences without breaking their gun or making safe. The problem was that this was a bit of an old boys syndicate and 'they had always done it like this, been shooting for 50 years, always safe' . The Shoot captain himself was guilty of the same slap-dash approach to safety, and the Game-keeper and Under-keeper were to worried about offending the guns and loosing their end of day tips to take action, despite promising the hard-complaining beaters team that they would 'have a word'. Which they never did. I did complain directly to a particular dangerous and ignorant gun who than swore and shouted at me, and the net result was that NOBODY backed me up (guns or beaters or shoot-captain or game-keepers) and in the end I was asked to leave the beaters team and find myself another shoot. Which I did. Later that season another highly experienced beater was also told not to come back, as he had also raised the safety issue repeatedly.
The saddest thing of this story is that one of the gents in charge has featured repeatedly in The Shooting Times and is apparently an example of professionalism and sportsmanship in the shooting world. He has also got a team of young beaters around him, including kids, who don't talk back, don't raise their concerns and do as they are told. Until, of course, they loose an eye or worse, but than it will be too late.

Its compulsory on some grouse moors in my area that flankers,loaders and beaters wear safety glasses now.About time too.
Atb John.

Slightly off topic, but Exactly the reason i have started wearing glasses this season !!!!

It amazes me that any gun program in the states they all don hearing protection and glasses, but yet here you very rarely see glasses worn.
game shoots should issue and ask their beaters to wear safety glasses and hearing protection , we do , if they choose not to wear them its down to them.

Guns that are not safe should, likewise be asked to leave the Shoot. If a person can not be safe with a weapon, they have no right to be a Gun.

I was a member of a shoot a few years back, and my good lady was beating. She approached me as white as a sheet as one of the guys had drawn a bead across the front of her chasing a low bird. Luckily for him he got to his car before I got to him, he didn't even wait to get his dog in the car. I left when the shoot captain tried to explain it away.

I did complain directly to a particular dangerous and ignorant gun who than swore and shouted at me, and the net result was that NOBODY backed me up (guns or beaters or shoot-captain or game-keepers) and in the end I was asked to leave the beaters team and find myself another shoot.

Personally I wouldn't have waited to be asked to leave, I'd be long gone - especially if the Keeper isn't up to doing his job. It isn't that hard to find beating these days and I pick and choose where I go.

Yesterday I was out on a Pheasant shoot on FC land, only to find out that, last week a beater picked up a pellet or two.
Why is it that you need certifacates to shoot rifles,(on FC land) and not shotguns ?
It would be interesting to know who is the most dangerous, I know who I think is.
I'm sure most shotgun shooters have come across this at some point.
Not having a go, but is it fair ?
Parliament has decided that S1 Firearms are "more dangerous" than S2 Shotguns. I do not agree, carelessly handled a shotgun is every bit as dangerous as a rifle however due to the greater range of rifles even some shooters think that they are more dangerous. I am not sure if there is any statistics available e.g. numbers of people treated for accidental injuries caused by legally held shotguns & rifles. atb Tim

Basc do (or did?) a shotgun competancy course, over a few weeks one evening a week, then an exam and practical, well worth doing.

Guns that are not safe should, likewise be asked to leave the Shoot. If a person can not be safe with a weapon, they have no right to be a Gun.

+1 without question.

Everyone on our syndicated shoot, guns, beaters etc act as safety 'officers'. Anyone behaving in a hazardous manner is challenged and sorted out immediately. If they dont comply they go home and dont come back!
Safety is paramount.
You cant do much about 'spent' shot except to wear shooting glasses which WILL save your eyesight!

Sorry there is NO room for compromise!

Regards

Fraser

Back