Misting up scopes

neil the plumber

Nothing worse than spotting something , bringing the rifle up, and finding the eye piece is misted up by your breath. Well last night, whilst out with the old night vision, I put one of them disposable, chemical hand warmers just inside the rubber eye piece. Just pulled it out when needed to, and was very surprised how warm it kept the lens. Ok it works out at about 50p a go,but it does keep your spotting hand warm as well.
Neil

I treat mine with 'Rain-x' and have no issues with misting - but don't find my breath affects the glass anyway. Going from an extended stay on the back of the landy to the warmth of the cab is the most common misting problem I see.

Totaly agree with Eric the Red, been using Rain-x on my scopes and binos for donkey`s years, works a treat :thumb:

Bob

During the 2011/12 winter I found that my work scope was steaming during training to go away. Recently went away to a very hot country and found that sweat was a real problem at steaming up the protective eye wear we use. Sooo... some american friends suggested Cat Crap. Sounds mad, but thats the actual trading name of the product.

Google it, works a treat, I can see clearly now the steam has gone ;)

my local B&Q sell it - never thought of using it on my scopes but it was truly awesome on the landy's windscreen. I used the yellow and white bottle ones a cleaner and ones a treatment not sure the cleaner would be suitable for optics though

At Camp Perry national matches in Ohio they were giving away liquid soap to smear on the lens supposed to do the same job. Worth a try.
I never have a problem as when I see deer I stop breathing until after the shot.
Sometimes for an hour or more but I do get giddy.
Martin

A guy told me about the battery operated bands that go over the end of the scope keeps them from fogging they are what the stargazer's use.

Would Rain X damage the glass in the bino or Scope?
Thanks,
Glendine.

It wont damage the glass itself. The one thing I would be careful of is if your scope is pre treated for anti glare etc. Its literally just a moisture repellant that sits on top of the glass, like a very thin coating, that dries invisible.

Put Rain X on your car windscreen and you don't need window wipers - useful for Defender owners.

Great stuff, BUT, dont use it inside the window...it's murder to clear, and "fogs" up...:) found that one out to my cost...:)

Back