Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 17 HMR thread sorry!

Another 17 HMR thread sorry!

Right, just need a few more bits of advice before I take the plunge! Been hearing the pro's and cons of the HMR for a while now but I still think it would come in quite handy! Are the ammo costs likely to rise drastically due to newer similar calibres coming out and have they rectified the ammo getting stuck up the spout problems???? Im still not convinced that its the best calibre for bunnies due to the mixed feedback on meat damage but due to poachers lamping my permissions were struggling at some distances with the .22. Looking forward to the feedback guys, Thanks, Tim.

SD Regular
    Tim,

I would suggest that the advent of new equivalent calibres will only push the price down. With regard to the reliability of the ammo, I think that the percentage is extremely small given the number of rounds produced and fired, but I can understand this may make some anxious.
    On meat damage, the 17gr BT can cause a bit - head shooting of course will not matter in that case. I have found a wide variance of damage from 17gr HMR - I guess dependent on the rabbit itself and shot placement. I have found that using the 20gr HP's minimises the meat damage - and it is a very effective rabbit calibre. If not HMR, what are the alternatives if 22LR is not enough - WMR? Small C/F? For many years I shot rabbits with 22 Hornet, but then I was shooting for control, not for meat. (Wish I still had it TBH, but can I find a left handed one anywhere? Can I b********y!)
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Great round Ive been knocking bunnies over at 125yrds (head shots) with no bother. As for the price of ammo there is plenty about so cannot see it going up soon.

I wouldn't be without my .22 or my hmr - the .17hmr is awesome for longer range bunnies and a decent close range fox gun too IMO.

Ammo is expensive compared to the .22, and yes there have been issues with ammo consistency, and the new 17 calibres might mean issues with cost of hmr ammo.

Have you tried HV rounds in your .22? Not as flat as the .17 but flatter than LV.

Meat damage is a rubbish argument against the 17hmr - if you're bothered then this round is accurate enough to head shoot every time!

If I just need to shoot a lot of rabbits to keep the land owner sweet I will usually take the hmr as you can shoot a lot further and you don't get runners. It's louder and more expensive but that's the trade off for range and damage.

There are as many pro's as cons with the hmr so no point arguing with anyone - it's a marmite calibre; you either love it or hate it!

If you were closer I'd say come and have a look at mine. Try and use one first if you can

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    I wouldn't be without my .22 or my hmr - the .17hmr is awesome for longer range bunnies and a decent close range fox gun too IMO.

Ammo is expensive compared to the .22, and yes there have been issues with ammo consistency, and the new 17 calibres might mean issues with cost of hmr ammo.

Have you tried HV rounds in your .22? Not as flat as the .17 but flatter than LV.

Meat damage is a rubbish argument against the 17hmr - if you're bothered then this round is accurate enough to head shoot every time!

If I just need to shoot a lot of rabbits to keep the land owner sweet I will usually take the hmr as you can shoot a lot further and you don't get runners. It's louder and more expensive but that's the trade off for range and damage.

There are as many pro's as cons with the hmr so no point arguing with anyone - it's a marmite calibre; you either love it or hate it!

If you were closer I'd say come and have a look at mine. Try and use one first if you can
    I liked it! The quarry didn't. The only reason for me going for the WMR is the fact that. When I use the cases for swaging I won't have to trim the shoulders off.

Yep that's how lazy I am!!!!

I certainly wouldn't be without my 17HMR. I shoot a considerable number of rabbits with it and yes, you will get the odd one that doesn't need paunching. However, to offset that when shooting from a vehicle at night there's no need to worry about range, anything out to 100yds is fair game. It is a very useful round indeed.

I have a trio of unused HMR's and seven 22WMR's that I use pretty frequently. I was just telling Simjim that I found a fluted, heavy 22WMR barrel for a Ruger in my barrel pile and will be converting one of my 22LR Ruger Model 96 rifles to yet another 22WMR. I find it eversomuch more useful than a 17HMR in my locality; bullet weights from 33 to 50 grains. Speeds from 1800 fps to 2350 fps and (not that you'd stumble upon these cartridges in the UK tho still produced by Winchester) you can shoot the old Winchester 22 WRF, 45 grain load at 1450 fps from them with good accuracy. In a survival-like pinch you can shoot a 22LR from a 22WMR with reasonable accuracy up close.

Accuracy is excellent when you have found the ammo your rifle likes... and that's another thing. Ammo isn't just produced by one or two plants. Many companies produce 22WMR in a variety of forms. There is always something new to try in a WMR.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I have a trio of unused HMR's and seven 22WMR's that I use pretty frequently. I was just telling Simjim that I found a fluted, heavy 22WMR barrel for a Ruger in my barrel pile and will be converting one of my 22LR Ruger Model 96 rifles to yet another 22WMR. I find it eversomuch more useful than a 17HMR in my locality; bullet weights from 33 to 50 grains. Speeds from 1800 fps to 2350 fps and (not that you'd stumble upon these cartridges in the UK tho still produced by Winchester) you can shoot the old Winchester 22 WRF, 45 grain load at 1450 fps from them with good accuracy. In a survival-like pinch you can shoot a 22LR from a 22WMR with reasonable accuracy up close.

Accuracy is excellent when you have found the ammo your rifle likes... and that's another thing. Ammo isn't just produced by one or two plants. Many companies produce 22WMR in a variety of forms. There is always something new to try in a WMR.~Muir
    Muir, i threw a lot of money at my Ruger 22WMR including a lilja barrel and it made not a jot of difference to the poor accuracy i encountered with this cartridge, availability of ammo may have been a factor but i am glad its gone, i lost money on this but the 17HMR CZ 455 i replaced it with is a godsend.
    At one point with the WMR i was even questioning my own ability, my buddy said its not you its the rifle, the 17HMR which puts 5 into 3/4" @ 100yds restored my confidence and once again allowed to head shoot rabbits out to 125-130yds

Ian.

I have an old Marlin model 25 in 22WMR it cost me 100 and it really accurate I use Hornady Vmax 30 grain More punch than a 17HMR and not so prone to wind. I would recomend the 22WMR

Quote Originally Posted by multiman View Post
    I have an old Marlin model 25 in 22WMR it cost me 100 and it really accurate I use Hornady Vmax 30 grain More punch than a 17HMR and not so prone to wind. I would recomend the 22WMR

Rubbish. The wmr is effected my wind far more than the hmr. The hmr travels a lot faster so is in flight for a much shorter time to have the wind get to it. The wmr has about twice the deflection at 100m for the same conditions