Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proof that I have no social life.

Proof that I have no social life.

It's winter in Montana and the wind chill is about 25 below zero (F) so it's natural that I stay in and keep warm, or go down to the local tavern and stay warmer. I'd been in reloading all day and had tired of the first option and had decided to exercise the second as soon as I got done with my current batch of handloads for my 308. I was dumping and weighing charges of IMR 4895 and I noticed something occurring that had happened before; I was assembling rounds faster as I got closer to the bottom of the powder supply in the hopper of my measure. I might have dismissed it as merely "hitting a good rhythm" in the past but this time I noticed that it was because all of my charges were, A) somewhat heavier, and B) causing the pointer on the beam to stop at the same point on the scale nearly every time, and darned close when it wasn't. I was trickling less, and always the same amount each time. I could almost do it with my eyes closed and not look at the scale.

So. I stayed in and weighed charges with varying amounts of powder in the hopper. Starting with an amount that rose to 1" above the baffle, I got really accurate charge weights until it ran out with less accuracy as the powder column rose higher than that 1" level.

So what does it mean? Who knows? I only tried it with one powder at one charge weight so it may be something quirky and specific to my reloading arrangement but you never know without trying. I normally keep the powder hopper as full as I can but won't when I'm loading for my 308 anymore.~Muir

Its not just you, I've noticed the same thing. For some reason, and I dont know why, its more noticable with coarser grained powders like 4831 and 4350. The strange thing is I can never do it predictably, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Maybe someone else can explain it ?
    AB

SD Regular
    Aha! Now maybe there's an idea for a powder thrower that only holds 1" height of powder? Or didn't Belding and Mull get there first!

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Perhaps it is to do with gravity.
    When the hopper is full there is more weight pressing down on the lower powder. Therefore jamming and flow will be slowed. Although the weight of the powder is very small, so is the aperture to the case!!
    If you think about it then jamming even occurs when you use a funnel. A little tap solves this quickly.
    So is it possible that with less weight bearing down on the lower grains of powder, flow is slowed and therefore allows the grains flow easier and also to pack into the charge measure in a more orderly way??
    Just my 2 cents worth
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Hmmmm I was out loading 308's for a friends new Savage as well as 300 SAUM's for another friend to take piggie huntign in a couple weeks !

Seems to me IMR4064 and IMR4350 were metering rather well for me also .

Got them mostly taken care of and I can be done with guns , shooting and loading for maybe a month and a half .

Maybe I'll try and find a range in the Philippines to visit one day

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Aha! Now maybe there's an idea for a powder thrower that only holds 1" height of powder? Or didn't Belding and Mull get there first!
    They did but remember, this particular measure has a baffle in it already that supports the majority of the columns weight.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    They did but remember, this particular measure has a baffle in it already that supports the majority of the columns weight.~Muir

Buy you one of those $250 Harrell measures . There are 4 or 5 guys in our area that swear by them .

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    Buy you one of those $250 Harrell measures . There are 4 or 5 guys in our area that swear by them .
    No. I have a very old Seeley-Masker measure that is very accurate as it stands. Never used a Harrell.~Muir

At least your not spending $150+ on a "another" gun!

How many rounds did you end up reloading?

How much is powder at the moment? Or has it all gone up due the ban historia?

I loaded 100 rounds of 308 and 100 rounds of .223.
    Actually, powder prices are up much but availability is down. I bought 2 pounds of IMR 7828SSC, 2 pounds of IMR 4895, and 1 pound of H322 for $110 last week. That reflects my usual frequent addict discount at the Trading Post; should have been $125. WALMART in the city has IMR 4350 for $23/pound and one of the big sporting goods stores in the city has powder from $24 to $34 a pound depending on the brand.~Muir