red dot sight

mereside

I am off to france on fri with mark from stalking england on the boar and really looking forward to it but had a big dilema do i take my 270 or the 300 win but scope on the 270 is a 3-9-40 and really wanted a dot sight but things have been tough so couldnt afford to get a top spec scope ,anyway i have gone down the cheap route now i hear sighs already but glyn off here was kind enough to give me a one piece scope mount which i could adapt to a picitiny rail.
I left the pins on the scope rail and drilled the picitiny to fit over the pins and i the drilled and tapped the sako rail so the picitiny would screw to that i then araldited the pins for a stable platform.
next came the fitting of the dot sight and off to the range for testing and zero which i ran out of adjustment so back home to inspect the dotsight which at the front they are bolted on to a rubber cushion so i released it and fitted a higher cushion to give me more adjustment . today i went back for more testing and managed to zero perfectly and after putting 50 rounds down the 300 win i am now happy and has held zero perfect so i am now ready for france, I will post my efforts on the trip and hopefully can take the camcorder for footage , atb wayne
pics pretty crap but off iphone,
stalking089_zps267b5513.jpg

Thanks Doug looking forward to it I will get a one piece rail made to suit the sako but everything has been last minute and with the dot sight having enough rounds now im confident it won't fall apart on the first pig i find, atb wayne

Mereside

I put the same sight on my rifle for pig shooting . Mine was total poo!! zeroed it and then tried it the next day and had to zero it again!! checked it again just be for i went on my trip and it was off again. Ended of using open sights instead. I bought a Edgar brothers optimate red dot (japan) after that for £100 a different beast altogether.

Bonne chance pour la Chasse.
Bob

Last edited:
I must admit i did have to do abit of work with it ,i ended up having to strip it down and rebuild it using proper rubber pads and thread lock on all the set screws . anything from china or those parts in principle have good ideas but the finish is always let down as they never put them together properly , since rebuilding i have put 50 rounds through the rifle and it did hold zero but will do a final check before i go , atb wayne

I purchased a red dot sight of similar design some years ago mereside and just like you landed up rebuilding it and "srew locking" the thing together. I wish you luck with yours but am sceptical as to whether it will stand up to any significant use. Mine works O.K. on a rimfire but I wouldn't want to use it on any thing much bigger as even a .38spl carbine was too much for it previously.

Yeah had one of those rinkydinks damn thing fell to bits, bought an aimpoint (real one not a knockoff) for reasonable dosh from the states, glad I did!

I went to low powered variable scopes instead, ideally they would have an illuminated reticule as well to have the best of both worlds but unfortunately I couldn't run to the additional expence. If I ever buy a red dot again it will be a genuine Aimpoint, Doctor or Zeiss. I have looked at the Leupold hog scope which is pretty similar to a 30mm Leupold that already have. The only real fault with these is the pretty bloody naff etching of PIG PLEX in the reticule, which kind of cheapens it.

I went to low powered variable scopes instead, ideally they would have an illuminated reticule as well to have the best of both worlds but unfortunately I couldn't run to the additional expence. If I ever buy a red dot again it will be a genuine Aimpoint, Doctor or Zeiss. I have looked at the Leupold hog scope which is pretty similar to a 30mm Leupold that already have. The only real fault with these is the pretty bloody naff etching of PIG PLEX in the reticule, which kind of cheapens it.

8x57
I have the same Leuopold 1.25 -4x20 vx-r but with out the pigplex brackets on the sides, just the job for pigs:thumb:

Bob

Back