Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! I've got a tick on my leg. How do I get it off?

HELP!!! I've got a tick on my leg. How do I get it off?

Hey guys. It's a bit late to be asking this but I've just spotted it and I don't have a remover. What's the best plan?

Re: HELP!!! I've got a tick on my leg. How do I get it off?

Quote Originally Posted by njc110381
    Hey guys. It's a bit late to be asking this but I've just spotted it and I don't have a remover. What's the best plan?
    I`m not having a go at you personally but with the latest round of warnings about Lymes disease and still some people still don`t have the tools to sort the job.
    I would leave it then first thing in the morning, get down to your vets and get a O`tom tick remover. Works everytime.

basil.

Get you fingers round it an pull it out, Ive never used one of these tools the mark one finger is good enough for me and the dogs,
    Ive never had a problem getting them out , there's also the mark one wife for the ones you can't reach .

There's hardly a stalking outing this year ive not brought one home ,never known it so bad .

The tick I can deal with but the midge is mental just now no breeze it's like a magic trick theres nothing there then theres clouds of them .

O'Tom Tick Remover

If you want to buy one of these O'Tom Tick Remover tools, you can get them off that well known auction site.

click here

Costs 4 posted.

Regards
    Jonathan

Guys,

I use a spray called Expeditiion 50 or 100 which prevents both midges and ticks. Spray it on exposed areas of skin and especially your hands, wrist and head just before stalking or going out to enjoy the outdoors (avoid contact with eyes and mouth- it stings and tastes horrible) and tuck your socks into your trousers/boots or wear gaiters to prevent ticks getting up the legs. Prevention is better than reacting to the wee biting Barstewards.

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    Get you fingers round it an pull it out, Ive never used one of these tools the mark one finger is good enough for me and the dogs,
    Ive never had a problem getting them out , there's also the mark one wife for the ones you can't reach .
    You might well be practised at getting them off, but the danger with that method is that you can't help but squeeze the tick as you do it! All you are then doing is injecting yourself with the contents of the tick!!
    This is where the risk of infection comes from! Ticks only draw blood out of you at first, but after a few days, they pass waste products back into you as well. This is when the risk of infection is greatest and why it is important to remove them ASAP.
    Tick pullers such as the O'Tom pull them away without squeezing the body and therefore reduce the risk of infection. ALL stalkers should have some as you will eventually need them IMHO.
    MS

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by njc110381 View Post
    Sqeeze its left bollock they dont like it and tend to loose their grip, failing which dab it with nail varnish remover it suffucates them and if you leave it a few minutes then you can rub it off.

I try to get the bright pink variety to match me nails it stings a bit though if you get one on your helmet
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 29-09-2010 at 08:11.

Quote Originally Posted by firsttimer View Post
    Guys,

I use a spray called Expeditiion 50 or 100 which prevents both midges and ticks. Spray it on exposed areas of skin and especially your hands, wrist and head just before stalking or going out to enjoy the outdoors (avoid contact with eyes and mouth- it stings and tastes horrible) and
    tuck your socks into your trousers/boots or wear gaiters to prevent ticks getting up the legs.
    Prevention is better than reacting to the wee biting Barstewards.
    Just a note on this, I was properly attired at the time, even had British issue gaiters over tucked in socks trousers etc, & I felt a dull needle like sensation on my shin, sure enough I had a tick attached in the thin skin right over the bone, tried all the usuals, vaseline etc, I ended up cutting it out as no one among the other stalkers had an O'Tom.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Get a pair of tweezers and grab it as close to your skin as you can and pull hard and straight, don't twist and then get a tick remover.

George

I'm a big fan of the Tick Lasso...just google it. Grabs the tick around the mouth parts so it doesn't regurgitate.

By the way, putting things like vaseline & spirits on them can also cause them to regurgitate.

Don't underestimate the importance of getting them off early and without squeezing them.