Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is it with me

What is it with me

Just back from another afternoon/evening. Best weather for weeks ie not raining and I decided to try a 20 acre wood that we hadn't been in this season apart from putting up high seat that had been repaired after some scrote had pushed it over and jumped on it. Now I have been out quite alot lately and all I have succeeeded in shooting were 3 munties- every roe and fallow I had seen had been on top off hills and rises probably to keep there feet dry ! And today was no different. Stalked ever so slowly and saw 5 fallow on a mission going through the wood, set up the sticks ready to ambush as they crossed the ride infront of me. Instead of crossing at right angles they came out at an angle and only presented their bums. They then stopped in the wood on my left one presenting a perfect broadside shot. Only trouble the backstop had a footpath about 30 meters behind it and you never know! Stalked down the ride which turn 90 left and goes up to the highseat. On the other side of it at about 150m stood 2 fallow does broadside on grazing quietly . Only trouble no backstop so left watching them through the binos untill they wondered into the trees. So a quiet walk to the seat and sat untill dusk . All I saw were 2 munties and I really didnt want any more of the little buggers so passed on them. So another blank but at least my mate connected with a nice yearling. However wheres the justice as he has only been out once in the last 6 weeks and he got there late and went to the nearest seat!

We keep a note of how long are stalking trip are and so far each beast is taking 10 hours! This does include travelling time and larder work I wonder how it compares with other stalkers?

Depends how long you are travelling for I suppose but recreationally...you are probably not doing too badly.
    S.

Don't get frustrated,, just change the mindset. You had a very successful evenings stalking. You got got close to lots of deer, just have saved your self lots of gralloching / larder work. Ten hours per beast is not bad particularly if you have tricky ground.

Congrats on showing such restraint. It would've been easy to hope that nothing was coming along the path and loosen one off.

It can be very frustrating this sport of ours, but as Heym says, "change the mindset". I try and find a positive from every outing - and it p*sses me off that I have to do that 90% of the time, believe me!!!

Cheers
    i.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

I keep a diary of all my shooting, and so far, if we exclude the single annual driven shoot which doesn't count, I have about ten outings this season for one brown rat. And that was in my back garden. Every outing to the marsh or woods consists of about four to five hours of travel from London to Kent or Sussex and back, and perhaps three hours actual hunting. So far this season, I have fired six shots for no pheasants, zero rabbits, and I have seen only one single woodcock all season. I make that something like 75 hours with nothing to show for it. Admittedly, this season has been pretty dire though. Last year was more like 25 hours per head of game. But I don't really count it like that, otherwise I'd give up.

Still, I have a couple more outings left. And then it's stalking with Malc!

Quote Originally Posted by chiron View Post
    Just back from another afternoon/evening. Best weather for weeks ie not raining and I decided to try a 20 acre wood that we hadn't been in this season apart from putting up high seat that had been repaired after some scrote had pushed it over and jumped on it. Now I have been out quite alot lately and all I have succeeeded in shooting were 3 munties- every roe and fallow I had seen had been on top off hills and rises probably to keep there feet dry ! And today was no different. Stalked ever so slowly and saw 5 fallow on a mission going through the wood, set up the sticks ready to ambush as they crossed the ride infront of me. Instead of crossing at right angles they came out at an angle and only presented their bums. They then stopped in the wood on my left one presenting a perfect broadside shot. Only trouble the backstop had a footpath about 30 meters behind it and you never know! Stalked down the ride which turn 90 left and goes up to the highseat. On the other side of it at about 150m stood 2 fallow does broadside on grazing quietly . Only trouble no backstop so left watching them through the binos untill they wondered into the trees. So a quiet walk to the seat and sat untill dusk . All I saw were 2 munties and I really didnt want any more of the little buggers so passed on them. So another blank but at least my mate connected with a nice yearling. However wheres the justice as he has only been out once in the last 6 weeks and he got there late and went to the nearest seat!

We keep a note of how long are stalking trip are and so far each beast is taking 10 hours! This does include travelling time and larder work I wonder how it compares with other stalkers?
    that's what makes stalking exciting, like salmon fishing or wild brown trout fishing. you never know, all you can do is your best! sometimes I've been out 5-6 times and not shot anything, either due to not seeing anything or just stalking in a clumsy manner. Other times I don't seem to be able to set a foot wrong and can get a deer with the blink of an eye, as if I could walk amongst them unseen...it's funny game this one.

Stiff upper lip old boy! You might step into the wood at first light, get into a group of 5 and deck the lot next time!

I once read there were four stages of fishing and I think the same applies to stalking. Four stages of fishing are:

1) you just want to catch a fish - any will do
    2) you want to catch as many as possible, as big as possible, as often as possible - fishing becomes all encompassing, you spend all you earn and it occupies all your waking hours
    3) you soon become unfulfilled by stage 2 so you move on to catching the most difficult fish in the most extreme location. This gets even more expensive etc

until you reach

stage 4) - you just go fishing.

If you don't understand you have n't reached stage 4

Helm sr20,what a great reply,loved it

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    I once read there were four stages of fishing and I think the same applies to stalking. Four stages of fishing are:

1) you just want to catch a fish - any will do
    2) you want to catch as many as possible, as big as possible, as often as possible - fishing becomes all encompassing, you spend all you earn and it occupies all your waking hours
    3) you soon become unfulfilled by stage 2 so you move on to catching the most difficult fish in the most extreme location. This gets even more expensive etc

until you reach

stage 4) - you just go fishing.

If you don't understand you have n't reached stage 4
    Priceless and so very true.