Howdy

venison stew

Hi there,

I'm Stew, I live in the NE Scotland have been stalking for about 15 years. I have a trusty old BRNO .243 that has put Roe, Red, Sika and Fallow on the table and have a recent acquistion Steyr Pro hunter .308 that I really like. I've already looked through various forums and found the site to be a brilliant source of information and views. I recently loaded the .308 with the magic number of Viht N140 and it was simply magic - thanks. Looking forward to contributing as well as taking.

Regards to all - Stew

Hello Stew

Welcome on-board. I look forward to hearing about some of your stalking outings.

Good Luck

Steve.

Magic number?

So what was the magic number of Viht 140 and for what bullet weight?? 45.2 gns of V140 for 150gn Speer seems to be doing it in my .308.

Phil

Magic numbers

Hi Phil,

I found the magic number of 44gn of N 140 on the reloading thread. It worked a treat with a .308 Sierra gameking 150 grain at about .04" off the lands. 3 out of 5 rounds in the same hole the other 2 were close by. I also use 46 gn of Varget with this bullet which is a little bit faster at about 2820fps and this is still probably my first choice.
Another favourite(Maybe I have too many favourites)is 46.2gn of N140 under a 125 grain Nosler ballistic Tip at an OAL of 70mm. (The .2gn was an accidental discovery as I was testing in .5 grain increments at the time and it was getting late. I realised the mistake but used them anyway and they shot a clover leaf. I and am not usually that picky. If they shoot within an inch thats about as good as I can point them at 100 yds.)

Hope this is of use - Stew

Stew

Welcome!

If you have the inclination, try 43.5gr of N140. I use this behind a 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip and it works a charm, approx 2700fps and great grouping.

willie_gunn

Back