Kestrel wind meter question.

247sniper

Hi guys, can anyone help please?

Got a new kestrel wind meter 4000NV the other day well last Friday, I have set up the altitude at a known and correct altitude ok. was working fine on Saturday, altitude was working fine etc, but when i woke up on Sunday and turned it on my altitude read 450ft when i was only at 160 ft??? Set it back up again on was working fine throughout the day until i turned it on today and it was reading 300ft when I was only at 100 ft???

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I'm or the Kestrel is doing wrong, Surely you don't have to calibrate the altitude every time you turn it on, as the altitude goes tits up I presume the barometric pressure goes to pot as well?

Can someone help please?

Thanks

Steve.

If you are after current data for ballistic program's
Always set altitude ref to zero "0" on your kestrel this will give you your current station pressure

This link will help better explained
http://www.arcanamavens.com/LBSFiles/Shooting/Downloads/Baro/

Thanks for that fella. Will by setting the altitude pressure ref to zero give accurate station pressure but will not give me correct altitude, is that right?

Thanks for your help mate :)

Steve.

Depends on the prevailing weather bud the altimeter works solely on pressure. If the pressure is changing due to the prevailing weather then the altitude that is derived form this will also change. Your obviously more interested in the local pressure for ballistic calculation rather than altitude?

aahh right i think i get it. when I set the know altitude with the pressure etc, thats it for a few hours sort of speak while the weather changes. basically the meter ONLY measures air pressure, but from that it calculates the altitude.

Steve.

Thanks for the link. I recently bought one too and it's brill, but walking along the beach this morning it said I was at 54m altitude when I should have been at 5m. I guess it's because I calibrated the altitude on a high pressure evening.

As you have already sussed... the alitude is based on air pressure, air pressure changes constantly, even from minute to minute so, if you are static the altitude shown will change constantly..

Something else to watch for.. I have the 4500NV and I thought my humidity sensor was goosed.. sat at bisley, the RH reading was tracking up to 80% then down to 60, then 75 etc... again, RH changes constantly depending on loads of factors... moisture in the wind, volume of wind, proximity to ground, is there dew on the ground, is the sun shining on the ground and evapourating the dew... you get the picture... anyhoo.. what I'm getting at is, if you are using it to plug the data into a ballistics program, take the average RH, don't try to read the momentary value, you will get frustrated and think your Kestrel is bust!

Jolly good bits of kit though :thumb:

If you are after current data for ballistic program's
Always set altitude ref to zero "0" on your kestrel this will give you your current station pressure

Station pressure , meaning actual pressure at you current position yeh?

Steve.

Back