Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would this be a fox???

Would this be a fox???

Hi Fellers

I keep a few sheep and on checking them today, found one of this years lambs with a patch of skin torn of its hind quarters, very near the tail. I'm thinking Charlie might be responsible but don't want to go trying to blat every fox on my patch if it's not the sort of damage they would do. Sheep are Shetlands, so quite small anyway and with the constant wet etc this year the lamb in question was smaller than usual.

If it is fox damage, what sort of calls/tactics are working at the moment? I'd like to give it some 75 grain medicine to cure it of its bad habits...

Thanks in advance

Harry

I'd shoot a few foxes just to be on the safe side mate!
    If any of your lambs die you could use them as bait. Don't forget to wire up the bait in a place with a good backstop.
    Last edited by Buckaroo8; 14-01-2013 at 18:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo8 View Post
    I'd shoot a few foxes just to be on the safe side mate!
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    +1
    +2 Eradicate all the fox and you remove one of the variables or all of them...
    Politicians are like nappies,they should be changed frequently and for the same reason.

I would drop all the foxs you can. It will help you in the long run

I would be tempted to ask if thers any dog walkers near your sheep as iv seen those types of wounds coursed by dogs and most of my shooting is on sheep farms so i see alot of sheep with diffrent wounds i also shoot all the foxes i can and yes ive also shot a few dogs worrying the sheep

Could be either dogs or foxes. I'm in the middle of trying to deal with something that killed two ten-day old lambs last week. Sadly, the culprit is almost certainly a lurcher-cross that belongs to the woman the farmer rents the land from...

Thanks for all the advice gents - don't think it'll be dogs as we're quite remote and surrounded by clear fell - I've a mate coming round to give me a hand later in the week, so hopefully we'll sort the problem out.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Thanks for all the advice gents - don't think it'll be dogs as we're quite remote and surrounded by clear fell - I've a mate coming round to give me a hand later in the week, so hopefully we'll sort the problem out.
    Shame your not closer, I'd happily come and give you a hand. Good luck.