Thread: Bolt Head Licence needed?

Bolt Head Licence needed?

Advice Please: Through this excellent site I bought a B****r .300 wm with which I am delighted. One thing led to another and I then got a variation for and then bought a 6.5x55 barrel, which neccesitated a second bolt head, which is coming from the ultra helpful McLeods of Tain, following advice from off road Gary. Now the question arises, Do I need yet another variation to get this bolt head ? Having already got a licence for the original rifle and another for the spare barrel this seems a bit extreme. If anybody has experience of this issue, I should be grateful, as I am getting variation form fatigue. Regards, Todhunter

Quote Originally Posted by Todhunter View Post
    Advice Please: Through this excellent site I bought a B****r .300 wm with which I am delighted. One thing led to another and I then got a variation for and then bought a 6.5x55 barrel, which neccesitated a second bolt head, which is coming from the ultra helpful McLeods of Tain, following advice from off road Gary. Now the question arises, Do I need yet another variation to get this bolt head ? Having already got a licence for the original rifle and another for the spare barrel this seems a bit extreme. If anybody has experience of this issue, I should be grateful, as I am getting variation form fatigue. Regards, Todhunter
    Have McLeods said you need a variation before they can sell it to you or are they just shipping it to you?

Ian.

SD Regular
    Yes. They are most definitely controlled component parts and when I held my RFD had to be recorded on my register.

As a point of information on a detachable bolt head rifle, such as a Lee-Enfield, the bolt head is cut and welded for de-activation purposes.

So clearly your variation should, perhaps, have been for "1x 6.5x55 barrel conversion set".

Explaining that the barrel and bolt head come as a set.

Just as a conversion .22 RLR cylinder AND its assocated .22 LR barrel for, say a .455 Webley, was ONE variation even though two separate items.

Or the .22 LR conversion unit for a .45 Colt 1911 comprised a barrel, and a slide, and the Williams "floating" chamber. So there THREE separate components of the actual unit. But again just listed as "1x .22LR Conversion Unit" as an authorisation.

I think that an explanation of this, in that tone, might be helpful?
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 14-01-2013 at 23:18.

When I enquired about a second bolt head I was told you can just buy one, no slot needed.

Neil.

If you have a slot on your cert for a 6.5x55 then there should be no need for anything else. I bought a replacement bolt for my old 243 years ago and it arrived through the post. The bolt is not a registered item and has no serial number......

Ads

all my 270 bolts have numbers

I was under the impression that chambered barrels and pressure bearing components (bolt, receiver etc) are all restricted items....

just as my spare barrels have numbers and are listed as specifically "spare barrel .xxx cal"

As a point of reference I have a Sako quad and had consider getting another stock and action to keep two of the calibres "made up" at one time.
    I can use one bolt

I need a variation to acquire the receiver

Todhunter,

You should find that the "bolt face" which detaches from the bolt will be deemed as part of the additional barrel slot that you have.

Stan

My thanks to all who responded , which has been a real help in resolving the matter, sensibly. The bolt duly arrived from Tain to my RFD.
    I suggested to the authority that a practical solution would be for my RFD, who had completed the relevant section in my cert on supplying the Barrel, to add" with bolt head " and its number, which I then confirmed to the FD in the normal way. This seems to have solved the matter. Regards, Todhunter

Todhunter,

Now, those that have "other German take down rifles are available", will find themselves in a similar situation.

They will probably find that they have fewer serial numbers...

I take it that the Blaser R 93 system has serial numbers on the barrel, stock and bolt head? Three in total?

From my own experiance the Mauser MO3 system ony has one, on the barrel.

There is the Merkel system. Anyone have input?

Might help finding out and then providing info to BASC etc. to push further on "interpretation".

Stan

Why not contact your FLD for clarification? Presumably if they granted the variation for the barrel there would not be any issues with the requisite bolt head? atb Tim