Thread: deer behaviour

deer behaviour

Just wondering if deer have a sixth sense of bad weather coming, as in my travels around Essex/Herts border today i noticed lots of parcels of Fallow deer in numbers between 6 and 30 at a time. it seemed like every corner i went round there was another group, as this was about 10-11am i was surprised to see that number during the day. i wondered if they were trying to feed before the snow came and covered all the cereal crops they were eating.
    Give instruction to a wise man and he will be yet wiser

Fallow do 'group up' at this time of the year and will stay in large groups for about another 3 weeks. They start to 'group up' about the 2nd week in December. They appear to get nervous and generally do not move very much, making them very awkward to shoot. I have seen groups of 120 on hill tops which do not move for over a month. I was told by a German that this is due to to a hormone in balance which triggers a hair change. I am not sure they can tell that bad weather is coming anymore than we can.
    Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake..

Quote Originally Posted by Munty1 View Post
    Fallow do 'group up' at this time of the year and will stay in large groups for about another 3 weeks. They start to 'group up' about the 2nd week in December. They appear to get nervous and generally do not move very much, making them very awkward to shoot. I have seen groups of 120 on hill tops which do not move for over a month. I was told by a German that this is due to to a hormone in balance which triggers a hair change. I am not sure they can tell that bad weather is coming anymore than we can.
    Some very good info here we always have trouble with ours at this time of year.We seen a big group of between 80-100 two weeks ago.One day they seem to be in lots of places another day none anyware. Well ours don't seem to like the wind much. When we don't find them we try to think a good reason. It doe's seem that its one out all out . woodfordfallow

Quote Originally Posted by Munty1 View Post
    I think you'll find that the nervous behaviour is due to shooting pressures, both deer culling and disturbance from bird shooting, rather than any seasonal hormonal balance. They feel safer on 'hill tops' and in open spaces.

Probably not a sixth sense, just the same five working better than ours can.
    I have watched a hill side clear of deer and they all come down towards and past me at a hurry up for no obvious reason.
    I could see for miles and couldnt spot any monroe baggers or a moving fox that may have spooked them and the wind was good 'n' strong. Sat for awhile puzzling over it then decided to push onwards and upwards and try into the next corrie. About an hour later out of an almost clear sky had the most god awful driving sleet/snow blast that felt like it was carving the skin of my face and hands. Soaked and cold i turned for home ,after a couple of hours got down to the vehicle when the wind dropped and the sun came out. I believe they are more atuned to the advance of low pressure fronts and react to that actual change . We do similar to a lesser degree when we say things like "it smells like it's going to snow"