Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Airedale Terrier - Tracking 10 metre trail at 11 weeks old

Airedale Terrier - Tracking 10 metre trail at 11 weeks old

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3646.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	491.6 KB 
ID:	23455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3651.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	959.5 KB 
ID:	23456Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3652.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	854.5 KB 
ID:	23457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3654.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	616.5 KB 
ID:	23458

Sunday: 1 hour old trail on snow at 9am

Deer parts: supplied by Pendle and The Scudd - Big Thanks! All this work not possible without the constant stream of parts.
    Trail included: Blood at start point; Deer cleats walked up trail; lungs dragged along same trail; blood and deer flesh flecked along trail; Deer skin and legs at end of trail with piece of deer meat and skin/fur to shake as reward.

Action: 11 week old Airedale bitch (Sika) clear interest coming onto trail

Clear pointing when downwind and coming onto trail

Locks in on scent and shows high prey drive when working up trail systematically; clear signs of excitement

Took roughly 2 mins to finish full 10metres

Low temperature (first time in snow) slightly distracting but the pup worked fantastic.

A ton of praise at the end with deer fur to play with in the warmth of the house later that day.

Thursday's session - All parts, blood and fur supplied by Gentleman Jim..........Massive thanks!!!.............Another few weeks work possible!
    Last edited by Ronan; 18-01-2013 at 21:49.

Ronan that's sounds awesome. Making some great progress.
    Just bear in mind that terriers don't traditionally "point". If Sika was standing still with one paw up, then it was more likely that she was giving off a calming signal. In dog body language, a paw lift is usually used when they are feeling anxious and uncertain about something around them. The paw lift means "I come in peace" in other words "don't harm me". Difficult to comment fully without knowing the whole circumstance but just be aware in general of Sikas body language. PM me if you want to know more. Sounds like she's doing really well ! You must be well chuffed x

Just seen this, brilliant !!! ...a cracking looking pup too!

Airedale - pointing

I don't think this pup has read the terrier manual........she points at the pony every day which stands stock still tight to the hedgerow. Sika can't see it but once we are downwind she will will freeze, turn to the pony and point.It really is amazing to see her do this at 11weeks of age.I wish it wasn't so cold though as it distracts her while working.

Sorry Ronan but Sika is not "pointing" Look at it like this, she's 11/12 weeks old, very young & uncertain and learning all about the world around her which is a big scary place. She doesn't know what a horse is - all she see's is big animal that smells odd. She is lifting her paw as calming signal because she's uncertain. She will be doing this for two reasons - one to calm herself and second to let the horse know she's no threat. Nicely explained here http://www.tarynblyth.co.za/articles...ebodylanguage/ and here http://3lostdogs.com/do-you-recogniz...essed-out-dog/
    Last edited by chelle70; 18-01-2013 at 12:26.

Have to say Ronan I thought there would have been a few more congratulate you and Sika here, encouragement helps gents after a mans worked hard to train his dog. Maybe you should call the puppy Helga and say she is a Bavarian Snitchel Hound lol ...nice dog Ronan please keep us posted on her progress.

Quote Originally Posted by chelle70 View Post
    Sorry Ronan but Sika is not "pointing" Look at it like this, she's 11/12 weeks old, very young & uncertain and learning all about the world around her which is a big scary place. She doesn't know what a horse is - all she see's is big animal that smells odd. She is lifting her paw as calming signal because she's uncertain. She will be doing this for two reasons - one to calm herself and second to let the horse know she's no threat. Nicely explained here http://www.tarynblyth.co.za/articles...ebodylanguage/ and here http://3lostdogs.com/do-you-recogniz...essed-out-dog/
    I have never once had a dog I am training lift a paw. No matter what age it was. Except of course my GWP, which also did it on game from a very young age. There was nothing calming about that act when the paw came up, because the nose was straight in the direction of whatever it was and the tail straight out behind it. To me a classic pointing posture even at 16 weeks old. The pointing instinct in dogs bred for this purpose because, it is an inherent trait, may well be shown on any animal it comes across because at that age the dog will not realise I suppose what constitutes game and that the appropriate response is to only point certain things. But from reading the article in the above example, to me there would be a marked difference between the style of a puppy lifting a paw for a calming reason and another doing it to let you know that it knows there is something there...

(well done by the way in bringing the pup on )

She only lifts her paw to game scents or if she smells me with food............it really is genuine pointing.......on approaching the pony she stalks points....stalks points....moving closer and closer. Airedales are actually renowned for pointing.......but not many know that.

Def a calming signal also, my border does it all the time when unsure, thats a breed not known for pointing. The acid test was this morning, I thought she might do the paw lift this morning, sure enough she did as I opened the door for her to see 6 inches of snow for the first time. Sloid stance, left paw up then looked at me for reassurance, licked her lips to calm herself then off into the snow when I showed her it was fun. I never realised Airdales pointed, every day a school day ))

Been reading these posts,chuckle chuckle,especially Chickenmans post,by calling it a bavarian snitchel hound,this snitchel hound would have not only been pointing but doing tracks at 200m long,4 hours old,2x90 bends in the track,no blood and the track laid with only one deer hair,no blood.
    Good luck with your pup,it's really doing well at 11 weeks old for a hairy croc.Chickenman seems to know how to train pointing Airedales.......
    Sarcasm aside good luck I still think you'll need it but then what do I know...
    Only trained a few dogs to deer.

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports