Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McMillan Stocks

McMillan Stocks

Hi Everyone,

I have been looking for a synthetic, thumbhole, rifle stock for my Sako 75 III action but have been unsuccessful thus far.

McMillan do one that I really like but not for my action. This raises three questions:

1. Could I purchase a McMillan A-T/H inlayed for a Rem 700 and have it altered and bedded for my action?
    2. How are they made? There must be some amazing process that makes these stocks so justifiably expensive…
    3. Is there an alternative to Macmillan …..that is as ridged, non-warping, hard wearing and LIGHT?

Many thanks,

Miles

Miles, have you thought about a laminate? also, mcmillan do a synthetic sako 75 stock, you can possibly have it modified and build in the thumbhole ergonomics, and re-finish it..dangerous and expensive project though ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by 2428 miles View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I have been looking for a synthetic, thumbhole, rifle stock for my Sako 75 III action but have been unsuccessful thus far.

McMillan do one that I really like but not for my action. This raises three questions:

1. Could I purchase a McMillan A-T/H inlayed for a Rem 700 and have it altered and bedded for my action?
    2. How are they made? There must be some amazing process that makes these stocks so justifiably expensive…
    3. Is there an alternative to Macmillan …..that is as ridged, non-warping, hard wearing and LIGHT?

Many thanks,

Miles
    Miles. It's very hard to avoid ending up with a Remington clone action. At great expense I put my Sako 75 into a laminate stock (see my avatar). It shot and I believe still shoots very nicely, but it wasn't easy to lug it around. Regards JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 15-01-2013 at 12:02.

My mates 6mm BR is in a thumbhole synthetic stock, and I am pretty sure its a sako action will ask him tonight.

D

Miles, you could order your chosen Mcmillan stock uninletted and get your smith to inlet it for you but i suspect it wont be cheap.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Miles, you could order your chosen Mcmillan stock uninletted and get your smith to inlet it for you but i suspect it wont be cheap.

Ian.
    either reverse a 3D scan and CNC or make a mould, 3D scan that, and CNC cut it ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    Miles, have you thought about a laminate? also, mcmillan do a synthetic sako 75 stock, you can possibly have it modified and build in the thumbhole ergonomics, and re-finish it..dangerous and expensive project though ;-)
    Hi mate,

Thanks you, yes I have considered it but dismissed it due to weight.

I'm trying to make this a lightweight and compact hill rifle so weight it a key consideration.

Do McMillan make it by extrusion?

Cheers,

Miles

Most Mcmillan stocks are hand laid up GRP with several models having the addition of carbon fibre to reduce weight, they are then filled with an expanding foam in the non solid areas

Ian

you really want thumbhole for a stalking rifle? just asking as it looks out of place IMHO, and the 75 stock has such a nice thumb fluting it's almost as good as. have you considered a synthetic sako stock, rough the inside up properly and full length bed it with devcon, from barrel tip though rear tang?

TBH, a full length devcon job, if it sticks in the synthetic, is pretty darn solid. Being a factory synthetic (ie, no huge capital commitment/layout), you can start manually filing the thumb fluting down to look/fit more like an A5 stock.

just a thought.

ive tried to get an aftermarket for my cz 6.5x55 nobodys intrested id like a thumbhole but even approached guys to make me one no one wants the work