Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rigby .275

Rigby .275

Help please I am not a ballistic whizz or a gunny, so need some serious advice. A friend has inherited a Rigby .275 with 140grn bullets,these seem a little bit nasty to use around this part of the country on Roe and Muntjac. Can we get factory loaded lighter bullets? Or is thereany other alternatives please. Wf1

Nothing wrong with 140 grn, pretty much the standard for that calibre but you can get 120 grn.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by wildfowler1 View Post
    Help please I am not a ballistic whizz or a gunny, so need some serious advice. A friend has inherited a Rigby .275 with 140grn bullets,these seem a little bit nasty to use around this part of the country on Roe and Muntjac. Can we get factory loaded lighter bullets? Or is thereany other alternatives please. Wf1
    From the sounds of it your friend has got a high class rifle. This is in 7x57 Mauser calibre.

I shoot 7mm, but handload only. Commercial ammo in lighter weights is scarce..... 140grain seems to be the standard offering, then it gets heavier and slower.

PM me if you need some ideas as I'm not far from you.... some links below might help.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rifle.aspx

http://www.prvipartizan.com/search_a.php

http://www.norma.cc/en/Products/Hunting/7x57-Mauser/
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

suspect if you go lighter you will actually get more damage not less

I use a 130gr .270 on roe which is pretty much the same as your 7x57/.275 speed/weight

shot placement is the key but no more meat damage than a .243 100gr does

It's almost exactly the same round as 7mm-08 and the standard for that seems to be 140gr also.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    suspect if you go lighter you will actually get more damage not less

I use a 130gr .270 on roe which is pretty much the same as your 7x57/.275 speed/weight

shot placement is the key but no more meat damage than a .243 100gr does
    I agree i would stick with the 140 or possibly up it to slow things down further if your only doing woodland short range stuff, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

RWS load a 123 gn bullet, which is very fast and flat. I use a 7mm with 140 gn bullet at 2700fps and is really good on Roe - drops them on the spot, passes straight through, in a straight line and buries itself into the ground. With the 243 I get more carcass damage, most seem to run and on Red I have had bullets ricochet of the ribs and go all over the place. I have had one shot broadside on, entry wound just behind shoulder and bullet went through the guts. Nothing wrong with the 275 Rigby and 140 gr bullet - gets the job done with minimal fuss, bother recoil etc.

Everyone else more or less nailed it - 275/7x57 is a grand calibre.

Lighter may prove more destructive and moves away from some of the factors that made these classics such good performers.

A good standard soft nose 140 gr should serve you well. If an older rifle and you can find any, there used to be a 154gr load - Hirtenberg? amongst others - it was a belting round in that calibre.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Basically the .275 used a rounded profile to the bullet due an experience in WW1 that Rigby had.................................. or so it's said, he claimed they penetrated better with less deflection.

Now depending upon it's actual age and the action it's built one will depend on what factory ammunition would be advisable to use. For example this rifle in 7x57:-

No it's not a Rigby this is a DWM semi custom sporting rifle dating from about 1897. This is built upon the Mauser M93 action complete with the squared bottom to the bolt face and as such it would be unwise to use say modern RWS 7x57 ammuntion in deference to it's age. When this was built the 7mm Mauser ammunition was of 173 grain at 2300 fps from a 29" barrel.

Rigby's did build some nice .275 rilfes on "Transition" actions. These were the development rifle for the Model 98 and lack a few final tweaks. Then of course they built on full Mauser 98's so it would be best to identify which your friend has exactly.

Thanks everybody the advice is fantastic. I know now which way to go.STICK WITH THE 140GRN. The knowledge on here never ceases to amaze me. Thanks again Wf1.