Thread: D@mn Federal brass

D@mn Federal brass

doing some reloading for the .223 with once used fed brass...turns out the primer pockets, even with a good cleaning with the pocket reamer, will not take the CCI small rifle primers...

this is with about 2/3rds of the cases.

I probably have about 80 to 100...bugger,

thoughts/ideas? and yes, I should probably bin it and buy 'decent' brass, but failing that, I was hoping there was an old trick to expanding the primer pockets or 'something', maybe chewing on the primers a bit to soften them up

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    doing some reloading for the .223 with once used fed brass...turns out the primer pockets, even with a good cleaning with the pocket reamer, will not take the CCI small rifle primers...

this is with about 2/3rds of the cases.

I probably have about 80 to 100...bugger,

thoughts/ideas? and yes, I should probably bin it and buy 'decent' brass, but failing that, I was hoping there was an old trick to expanding the primer pockets or 'something', maybe chewing on the primers a bit to soften them up
    I think we've been here before with this .... F C 223 headstamp?

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...crimped+primer
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

RCBS do a primer pocket swaging kit for about 20 or so

Lyman also do a hand held primer reamer - which is different to the Lee primer reamer/cleaner

I've got quite a few hundred Federal cases from back in my AR15 days - never had any issues priming any of them

Are you priming on the press or with a hand-held unit?

should have kept the .222!

Quote Originally Posted by saddler View Post
    RCBS do a primer pocket swaging kit for about 20 or so

Lyman also do a hand held primer reamer - which is different to the Lee primer reamer/cleaner

I've got quite a few hundred Federal cases from back in my AR15 days - never had any issues priming any of them

Are you priming on the press or with a hand-held unit?
    hand held unit. F'ing hate presses.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    should have kept the .222!
    tell you what Ed, had that rifle been chambered in .222 I'd have taken it. it was the rifle that sold me not the fact it was a .223. I never did like the standard length action in the CF2 .222, the BRNO/CZ micro mauser is much much nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    I think we've been here before with this .... F C 223 headstamp?

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...crimped+primer
    of course, spot on. I should've known..

I guess I'll ream the fokkers out then..LOL

Might want to back your load down a bit as well. FC military brass is thicker, so case volume will be less and could cause pressures to spike (depending on your powder/load). One thing is for sure, military brass is tough stuff. With BR primers, some pretty stiff velocities can be achieved in military brass, that one wouldn't come close to in commercial/civilian stuff. Me thinks Federal is beginning to offload their wartime surplus (I know before the crazy buying frennzy, Federal was already offloading 5.56/.223 at $6 a box of 20 for surplus military Federal ammo).