Thread: Sooo......Deer don't like sheep then???

Sooo......Deer don't like sheep then???

Lovely little story here about one that does:

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2013-...s-its-a-sheep/

Ahhhh, bless!

MS

Account Suspended
    "The deer has not been named... in case it returns to the wild" W...T...F?

Interesting story but I'm sorry to say I can't get past those first and last lines... it doesn't seem to be in the least bit "tongue-in-cheek"

It brings to mind an occasion when I was about 18 and another Scot's pal and me got the job of being in day-to-day charge of a quarantine station, of approximately 1800 sheep, in Sydney Mines, Nova Scotia. The sheep were a mix of North country Cheviot ewes and Border-Liecester and Suffolk Rams from all over Scotland... Anyhoo.... one fine day the local TV News company turned up and muggins was put up as the mut to be interviewed.

The first question from the neatly tailored and rather oddly, over-quaffed male (ish) reporter... How on earth do you come up with names for them all.... "Say what???"

Second question... Do they make good pets.... Eh??? ... Is this a wind-up? ... are we on Candid camera or something?...

The footage of the sheep played on telly that night with sensibly over-dubbed commentary... No interview...

The dock workers, from around the warehouse we were in, wanting the inside line on which Ram would serve which Ewe next was a wee goldmine... but that's another story...
    Last edited by Tamus; 15-01-2013 at 19:26.

I think 'He' may also be a 'She', so they'd have probably given it an unsuitable name anyway!
    MS

They certainly don't like being alone, some friends of mine have 6 or 8 horses in a field near the farm yard. For the last 3 years a red hind has lived with them she feeds from a round bale and will even come into a yard with them now, the fact that she is with the horses and so close to the yard has stopped her being shot , there are no wild reds within 20 miles, so i don't know where she came from .She disappears every autumn for a couple of weeks but has never produced a calf.
    a barony original

These ones get on OK together early morning or late afternoon when they are down off the mountain.
    HWH.

[QUOTE=Monkey Spanker;505445]Lovely little story here about one that does:

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2013-...s-its-a-sheep/

Ahhhh, bless!

I speak as a total newby and my knowledge to date is limited but my observations are that it seems to be Fallow that actively dislike and do avoid sheep, I have seen and shot a number of Fallow that in almost all cases have been in areas that have been sheep free. My friend has a small field surrounded by woodland that has been sheep free for many years and is frequented nightly by Fallow that raid his garden shrubs, to combat this he has twisted sheeps wool around the growing tips of the most prized shrubs.... it has worked they have left these alone and munched the others around them.
    Regards WB

big cat crap works as well 30yrs ago my uncle who lives in rural Warwickshire had a major problem with roe eating his roses he got several bags of i believe lion dung from Twycross scattered it around the roses problem solved
    a barony original

Quote Originally Posted by landkeeper View Post
    big cat crap works as well 30yrs ago my uncle who lives in rural Warwickshire had a major problem with roe eating his roses he got several bags of i believe lion dung from Twycross scattered it around the roses problem solved
    Lion poo is also supposed to be a good way to deter domestic cats from entering your garden too. I reckon this method is kind of counter-productive though? Instead of the odd partially burried cat poo, you've now got `big steaming lion turds!

Reminds me of a funny incident when a work colleague complained about the cats using his garden as a toilet. Another fella suggested he put some marigolds around the flower beds as cats don't like them. Some time later he came to work and said he had removed the marigolds form the garden as they clearly weren't working and his wife thought that yellow rubber gloves dangling from the roses looked unsightly!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by landkeeper View Post
    Not too far from me in Kent is a wildlife park, Port Lympne, they actually sell their lion poo to someone who retails it as a cat deterrent under the name "silent roar" apparently gardeners rate it highly.

WB