Zeroing & rests - recommendations

Firstly, I know an inch group is perfectly acceptable for a sporting rifle, but... ;)

Any recommendations or photos of your set up for zeroing/grouping a rifle?

I want to compare a few different brands of ammunition but this seems to be pointless unless I use a solid and consistent rest - I want to take "me" out of the equation as far as possible, so I am looking at how the ammunition actually performs rather than how well I can shoot!

To date I've just shot off a single bag, a rolled up coat, a wing mirror, a bonnet etc etc when zeroing and I know I'll never replicate the "rest" situation in the field, but that's not what I'm after.

Cheers :D

bi-pods are great but one of the best rests i ever had was a bag of wheat off the bonet of the car and the rest i use when im lamping foxes is a hesian bag of hay thats pretty good to

I have a bald eagle front rest and a rear wedge bag but it doesn't work that well with round forends. for all my testing of stalking rifles i use a Harris short swivel bipod and a small rear wedge. the bag is a recent adition after reading an american book on Benchrest techniques and it's helped reduce my groups visibly.

Ezzy

A while ago tried one of the quadpods and hated it. It got chucked into the fern at the start of the stalk to pick it up on the way home. Finicky bloody thing.

I'm going to get an engineering mate to make up a small portable bench-rest for me. Nothing beats sitting down at a firm solid bench with good bags or a short bipod to shoot off.

I've shot off those quadpod things and quite liked them. No where near as stable as prone so I'd not want to use them for checking groups but definitely more stable than off a pair of sticks. I only shot them on a range though and no idea how easy/quick they'd be to set up in the heat of the moment!

rests

I have tryed lots of rests over the years at present i am useing a caldwell front rest with a rear sand bag of a home made bench but you still get the human error.
So now i have went and got myself a caldwell fire control full lenth rest,my mate beat me to the only one in stock so mine is on order from the states,i got a close look at my mates its a very well made piece of kit and virtuly eliminates the human error.
Type into net and have a look and watch the video that come along with it

Do I remember a "few years" ago a portable system that when opened out had a seat and rifle rest (front and rear rest) but folded up to little more than a very thick stick.

Brian

This sort of thing
p020702sq06.jpg

Or this

Cant get this one to come up

[/img]http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_229566_imageset_01?$main-Large$[/img]

Got my caldwell fire control rest it,s the dogs any other rest has a lot to do to come anywhere near this,exspensive yes but you get what you pay for,no more did i pull that shot ect. Get one

Iam pretty anal when it comes to testing ammo and a rifles capabilities,and this is the best way i have found also very cheap to build and fits into the back of a car
Picture615.jpg

Picture616.jpg

this table is rock steady and enables me to shoot 1.5 inch at 500 yards
Picture.jpg

Back