Swarovski Z6i Problems?

Grouse Keeper

A 'keeper mate from the Highlands recons a local gunsmith will not entertain the Swaro' Z6i as the ones he's sold to go with his custom rifles have had problems and been returned. Not sure what the problems are?! I've been pondering about buying one............not sure now, any gossip about the z6i?

Speak to the gunsmith, he's very honest and approachable and willing to have a chat, if he has time!

I have two - one has a pretty hard life, the other less so - no issues to report at all. Excellent glass - and as we all know backed by excellent no nonsense service should something go wrong.

Speak to the gunsmith, he's very honest and approachable and willing to have a chat, if he has time!
He's a bit foggy on the details, don't suppose he wants to fall out with the importer, I can understand that.Just thought the amount of people on here that problems with that scope would've surfaced by now.

A 'keeper mate from the Highlands recons a local gunsmith will not entertain the Swaro' Z6i as the ones he's sold to go with his custom rifles have had problems and been returned. Not sure what the problems are?! I've been pondering about buying one............not sure now, any gossip about the z6i?
Only had mine 6 months, but no issues so far - it's a Gen I though, so maybe the Gen II that have the issues... Would be interested to hear what these issues are though, if only to take precautions in advance Cheers i.

Had a gen1 Z6i bt for 3 years been on my .308 and now on my .243 used it stalking & on range over 1000 shots no issues at all
Wingy

Dont let one problem put you off. Swarovski would soon fix it. They probably have the best after care of any of the top scope dealers

Last edited:
I know the gunsmith well. he is not prone to gossip. He is a bit of a perfectionist (in a good way) and said to me that he had found what he felt was an 'issue' or a weak spot with the eye piece (I think from memory) on Swarovski scopes, and had highlighted it to the company. Swarovski did not acknowledge that it was a fault. So he stopped selling them, and will continue to do so until the issue is addressed. He said how can he recommend the product to a customer when he knows something 'needs fixed'. It's not gossip, its two different opinions. all I would say is I have known him for a long time and value his opinion...

Many products can throw up wee issues or niggles after a bit of use and as long as the warranty is covering it then it will be fixed. Especially based on my experience with Swarovski...

Last edited:
No issues with mine either and I've never heard of issues with the eye piece from anyone I know with one. If there really was an issue, due to the vast numbers of people owning Swarovski scopes, I'm sure we would have heard about it by now. It's not like Swaro to dismiss things that are actually a problem either, their reputation and customer services is peerless in that regard.

With no disrespect to the gunsmith in question, perfectionist or not, I'd perhaps suggest that it could be a problem unique to him.

It's not like Swaro to dismiss things that are actually a problem either, their reputation and customer services is peerless in that regard.

Really? What about the way both the objective covers and eyepiece rubbers fit on their EL binos? I've lost both, and whilst Swaro may be happy to send out replacements FOC it doesn't get away from the fact that the design of both is appalling.

willie_gunn

Really? What about the way both the objective covers and eyepiece rubbers fit on their EL binos? I've lost both, and whilst Swaro may be happy to send out replacements FOC it doesn't get away from the fact that the design of both is appalling.

willie_gunn

Sorry, but I'm not sure I can empathise with that issue either! I don't mean to sound pedantic, but do you not run one side of the neck strap through the eye piece cover as Swarovski suggest? I can't see how you could lose the eye piece cover if you do. Also the objective lens covers on my EL Range bins are so snug there's no way they're popping off without me knowing. I can't even rotate them without significant effort.

Please don't think that I'm suggesting you haven't experienced an issue, I guess I'm fortunate enough not to have had the same experience. Do you have the correct covers for your objective lens size?

Still none the wiser as to "the weak point with the eye piece".

Been looking at my three and can't see anything wrong.

Stan

I have a Z6i in 1-6x24. It's performed flawlessly and looks fairly robust to me. Any problems so far, have been down to user error! In all honesty I prefer Zeiss scopes, but ism tempted to add a Gen2 sope with ballistic turrets as I love the idea of having 4 pre set ranges dialled in. Perhaps just a pipe dream for now.........

Sorry, but I'm not sure I can empathise with that issue either! I don't mean to sound pedantic, but do you not run one side of the neck strap through the eye piece cover as Swarovski suggest? I can't see how you could lose the eye piece cover if you do. Also the objective lens covers on my EL Range bins are so snug there's no way they're popping off without me knowing. I can't even rotate them without significant effort.

Please don't think that I'm suggesting you haven't experienced an issue, I guess I'm fortunate enough not to have had the same experience. Do you have the correct covers for your objective lens size?

A J

Actually I am not talking about the plastic eyepiece cover, which is fine, but the rubber covers that go on each eyepiece. I changed mine for the official Swarovski winged eyepieces and have had them come off more times than I care to remember. Fortunately - so far at least - I've found them each time. Swarovski's answer is to use Superglue to secure them. :eek:

As for the rubber objective covers, they come off with an alarming regularity. They are tight to fit on each objective, but the rubber is itself the problem. Try crawling along a Scottish burn with them tucked inside your jacket and you will see what I mean. The rubber catches against your clothing and causes them to move. I have replaced mine three or four times and also procured replacements of the same for a colleague who has a pair of SLC's. They have always been replaced with genuine Swarovski covers. Last time I stopped by Macleod's of Tain on the way back from stalking in the Highlands - they have a stock of them for just such cases.

This is maybe three or four times in 10 years of hard use. Maybe you feel that's acceptable but, compared to the Leica binos I have, the design of the Swaro covers is poor. If you search on this site you will see that my experiences of the EL covers is by no means unique.

I love Swarovski glass and would recommend them (I also have a Swaro spotting scope) but that doesn't prevent me calling it as I see it when it comes to poor design.

willie_gunn

Last edited:
Thanks willie_gunn. I must say it's not an issue I've had with mine yet. I'll make sure I check when using the standard rubber covers. Thanks for the heads-up.

Back