Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Scotland and want to take my rifles and shotguns

Question Moving to Scotland and want to take my rifles and shotguns

I may be missing something, but I have not seen anything, yet, that covers my question.

I am moving from the USA to Scotland, in June/July time-frame, in 2014, and want to transport my rifles and shotguns. I am hiring an International Moving Firm for the transportaion, but I need to know what I will need in order to ensure I don't have my rifles and shotguns confiscated, at the UK border, and loose them. NONE of my weapons are Semi-automatic, asault, or pump, and I only use them for hunting/stalking.

Can ANYONE, please, point me in the right direction to take care of what paperwork I may need, prior to shipping. I do understand that I will need to contact the local Constable for the proper permits and certificates, but I want to get the weapons into Scotland, first.

Any help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you, in advance.

Regards

Grant

Grant,

Not what you want to hear, but;

You have to establish residency here first.

You then have to apply for a FAC/shotgun Cert, showing good reason.

You then have to be granted the above. Not a foregone.

You then have to get your guns into the UK.

A bit succint but I think it might put a 12 month frame of mind into your plans.

Stan

I can put you in touch with a mate who is an RFD (same as your FFL)

That way the guns can be stored while you are sorting out other admin & settling in.

As far as I know, as long as the guns are standard bolt-action, or similar then there are no restrictions on them coming into the UK.
    The only issue with the shotguns will be what part of the UK Firearms Act they come under:

Section 2 (Shotgun Certificate) would be normal sporting guns of any action type

BUT

They then fall under Section 1 (Firearm Certificate)
    IF they have a barrel under 24" - applies to double & single barrel types
    OR
    are Pump-Action & Semi-Auto shotguns with more than 2 shot magazine tubes (tubes need to be permanantly modified - or factory spec at 2-shot i.e. FN Double Auto, etc.)

The latter pump & semi autos IF they have a barrel under 24" are the same as US Class III guns - known here as Section 5 = BANNED
    Yes - a 22" sporting barrel on a Rem 1100 makes the gun illegal
    ...so keep the short barrels back in the States

I can send you links to the Home Office documents if they are of interest?

Jon

You'll need to obtain a shotgun certificate and firearms certificate before you are allowed to keep the weapons at home, use them or do pretty much anything with them.

The SGC shouldn't be an issue, as long as you can show the firearms licencing officer that you have secure storage for them. The rifles might be more of an issue. Under a UK firearms certificate, you must show "good reason" to hold each and every weapon held on that FAC. This normally consists of being able to show that you have land to shoot over which is appropriate to the weapons requested, although paid stalking can also be used to prove "good reason".

Your best course of action is to contact the firearms licencing department of whichever constabulary's area you are moving to. If you put a town or rough area up someone will be able to tell you which area you are under and provide contact details.

Initially you will have to obtain an import licence, and will probably have to have your weapons sent to, and stored at, an RFD's premises as they will want to inspect your security arrangements and carry out all the checks that they carry out prior to issuing an FAC.

There are good guides on here relating to the application process. You might have some slightly different issues, coming from "far far away" in that you will need to provide references from people who have known you for several years, and who are of a certain standing (for SGC) or who are of known good character (for FAC).

It might also be worth approaching one of the many shooting organisations we have over here (BASC is one, there are others. Note the NRA over here aren't the same type of organisation as the NRA in the States) to advise. I'm sure the NRA over there would have knowledge of this sort of thing too?

As said above, you will be looking at a fairly prolonged process to get to a stage where you can keep your guns at home, and use them. The gun culture over here is VERY different to the States.

Good luck with the move.
    Last edited by matt_hooks; 15-01-2013 at 22:35.

What area in Scotland are you moving to?

Regards

DavieH

Good information above.
    I would leave them in the states and get them shipped over at a later date, or sell them and start from scratch.
    Don't forget, if you have any type of criminal offence against your name in the US it will make it very difficult to get a licence over here, but i assume that doesnt apply in your case.
    Perhaps we can do an exchange, you move over here and i will move to the states?
    Cheers
    Richard

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    Good information above.
    I would leave them in the states and get them shipped over at a later date, or sell them and start from scratch.
    Don't forget, if you have any type of criminal offence against your name in the US it will make it very difficult to get a licence over here, but i assume that doesnt apply in your case.
    Perhaps we can do an exchange, you move over here and i will move to the states?
    Cheers
    Richard
    That would be awfully rash.

The firearms that you CANNOT provide "good reason" for owning (within the terms of our licensing system) may have to go. The rest, as has already been said, can come over, subject to importation permit, and be held by an accommodating Registered Firearms Dealer (RFD) over here, till the paperwork gets sorted out.

Now you need to ask all the questions about "good reason"...

Here y'go buddy

Can I bring firearms into the UK?

also covers residency.

Pete

I think it is a good point about leaving them in the States awaiting shipment for when (if) a FAC is granted. Becasue if it is not, and there is no guarantee for residents currently here either, although obtaining permission for land should initially be the first port of call in securing that grant, then if things don't pan out you may be calling the person holding them back home and instructing they are sold. I am not trying to put a damper on it, but it is always a possibility.

How would it work if he already had a sponsor in Scotland for shooting and bringing them over with him, like many foreign visitors do? I cannot remember if there is a time limit on a visitors permit??? Becasue if there is not would it not be granted simply showing his address if suitable and offering appropriate storage facilities.

As suggested, I would be calling the local FEO for the area you are moving to. Remember though that we move to one Scottish Police Service on 1st April so after that I don't suppose it would matter what number you called...

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    I think it is a good point about leaving them in the States awaiting shipment for when (if) a FAC is granted. Becasue if it is not, and there is no guarantee for residents currently here either, although obtaining permission for land should initially be the first port of call in securing that grant, then if things don't pan out you may be calling the person holding them back home and instructing they are sold. I am not trying to put a damper on it, but it is always a possibility.

How would it work if he already had a sponsor in Scotland for shooting and bringing them over with him, like many foreign visitors do? I cannot remember if there is a time limit on a visitors permit??? Becasue if there is not would it not be granted simply showing his address if suitable and offering appropriate storage facilities.

As suggested, I would be calling the local FEO for the area you are moving to. Remember though that we move to one Scottish Police Service on 1st April so after that I don't suppose it would matter what number you called...
    Hmmm!

I'll stick my neck out here and say... IF Bearstalker can satisfy the application requirements he can be assured that he will receive a British Firearms Certifcate.

Depending on what firearms he has, and provided they are like wot we use ... He may actually find that they are worth substantially more to sell here than on the other side of the Atlantic. So, even if he fails to meet the requirements for the grant of an FAC, he would still be better with his guns here and lodged with a RFD, till the paperwork gets resolved... In My Humble Opinion... of course.

Will he qualify for grant of FAC? .... I suspect he would be better advised to speak to a shooting organisation such as BASC (the British Association for Shooting and Conservation).... other organisations do exist.

Talking to firearms licensing departments is a very high risk strategy... they are the keepers of the keys and have shown themselves all too keen to put unreasonable obstacles (verbally) in the way of innocent certificate applicants....

So Bear Stalker ... I'd advise you to get some proper advice, from an organisation with YOUR interests at heart... Take that or leave it as you please.

Atb~Tom