Moving to Scotland and want to take my rifles and shotguns

Pete,

Some landlords don't allow you to decorate, let alone drill holes to hang pictures or bolt a gunsafe.

Stan

My landlord told me I couldn't bolt a safe in as well, shame (for him) he didn't tell me in time to stop me doing it :lol:

Neil. :)

Tain is in the Nothern Police area (though goodness knows what will happen after its re-organised) - and they are very easy to deal with.

Although its been dissed above if you approach them you will get good straightforward advice - better if you can do this face to face, speak to Norman McLeod, very knowledegable.

Northern has a higher per capita gun ownership than any other area in the UK (and almost NO gun crime) as a result of being a wholly rural area and they need to deal with this. There are also plenty of rifle clubs - most of whom will have a black powder pistol section.

Tain is in the Nothern Police area (though goodness knows what will happen after its re-organised) - and they are very easy to deal with.

Although its been dissed above if you approach them you will get good straightforward advice - better if you can do this face to face, speak to Norman McLeod, very knowledegable.

Northern has a higher per capita gun ownership than any other area in the UK (and almost NO gun crime) as a result of being a wholly rural area and they need to deal with this. There are also plenty of rifle clubs - most of whom will have a black powder pistol section.

Who would diss such sound looking advice? ... Perish the thought... Good advice to be sure me ole pal... but how about a quick, very telling and pleasingly irreverent glimpse behing the politcal scenes?

Personally I think the keepers of the keys are not all playing by the rules we might hope they are... No matter how sensible and helpful Northern Polis are now and have been in the past.

Have a wee gander at this: http://scottishlaw.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/snp-plan-will-ban-most-firearms-as.html

When you come home, it may be to a very a different "Policing" landscape. But.. I hope I'm wrong and just being a pessimist..

Bearstalker, no one has yet asked if you are a target shooter or a hunter, i assume from the list of rifles you have you are a target shooter as some you mention are clearly military rifles.
Your best bet is to join a rifle shooting club, do the probationary period and gain full membership.
This will give you good reason to to apply for a firearms certificate and when granted will at least allow you to have your rifles in your possesion after importation.
You will however be limited to shooting on ranges only and will not be allowed to use or purchase expanding ammo.
If you want to shoot deer and any other legal quarry you will have to produce proof of use in the way of permission to shoot on a named piece of land.
Once your licensing office are satisfied that you have met the criteria they should condition your liecence to allow shooting in the field and the purchase and use of expanding ammo.
For your shotguns the licensing system is bit easier as you still have under law, a right to have a shotgun and you dont need to provide good reason to posses, on the contrary the police have to provide good reason to deny you a shotgun certificate.
A falling point for both applications may well be the need for referees, both applications need to have referees that are resident in the UK and have known you personally for at least 2 years.

Ian

#1 says he hunts and stalks mty
:doh:
Bearstalker, no one has yet asked if you are a target shooter or a hunter, i assume from the list of rifles you have you are a target shooter as some you mention are clearly military rifles.
Your best bet is to join a rifle shooting club, do the probationary period and gain full membership.

This will give you good reason to to apply for a firearms certificate and when granted will at least allow you to have your rifles in your possesion after importation.
You will however be limited to shooting on ranges only and will not be allowed to use or purchase expanding ammo.
If you want to shoot deer and any other legal quarry you will have to produce proof of use in the way of permission to shoot on a named piece of land.
Once your licensing office are satisfied that you have met the criteria they should condition your liecence to allow shooting in the field and the purchase and use of expanding ammo.
For your shotguns the licensing system is bit easier as you still have under law, a right to have a shotgun and you dont need to provide good reason to posses, on the contrary the police have to provide good reason to deny you a shotgun certificate.
A falling point for both applications may well be the need for referees, both applications need to have referees that are resident in the UK and have known you personally for at least 2 years.

Ian

I do appreciate the advice from one and all. It is very informative.

At present, I only have one rifle in the states; the rest are in my father-in-law's basement, in a weapons safe, in Germany and are registered with the German authorities. All of my rifles are bolt action - .303 British Enfield, 8MM, 30.40 craig, .22, and the one with me here, 1903 Springfield 30.06. My two shotguns are a 16 Gauge, side-by-side double barrel with external side hammers, and a 12 Guage double barrel over and under.

I have a Black Powder .44 Cal pistole. I have three other pistols, two of which I know are not allowed becasue they are semi-automatic. The third one is a .357 Mag. Ruger-Blackhawk, Single action with a 7.5 inch barrel. I have read that it is not on the list of forbidden weapons in the UK.

I haven't received so much as a traffic violation in the past 40+ years. Not say I have never done anything wrong, just that I haven't been caught. ;)

I will be, if the house is still available next summer, moving to Tain, June-July 2014 time-frame.

I will, also, at the end of this month, be joining BASC.

Thank you ALL again for you advice. Like I said, it has been most informative.

Grant

We will be neighbours, well 25 miles, see you when you get here.

John

Who would diss such sound looking advice? ... Perish the thought... Good advice to be sure me ole pal... but how about a quick, very telling and pleasingly irreverent glimpse behing the politcal scenes?

Personally I think the keepers of the keys are not all playing by the rules we might hope they are... No matter how sensible and helpful Northern Polis are now and have been in the past.

Have a wee gander at this: http://scottishlaw.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/snp-plan-will-ban-most-firearms-as.html

When you come home, it may be to a very a different "Policing" landscape. But.. I hope I'm wrong and just being a pessimist..

That all looks very frightening - is this SNP policy or chattering speculation? To be honest I don't know. Firearms offences are at a 32 year low - so they want to increase controls on LEGAL gun ownership - ???

But yes, things look set to change as of 1st April (April foo......) - I have looked but have not seen anything anywhere laying out what they intend doing with firearms licensing - anybody know? It would be a disaster if it were centralised. Fortunately my FAC doesn't run out till 2015 - maybe the wrinkles will have been ironed out by then. Maybe.

Back