Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valuation for Swarovski Habicht

Valuation for Swarovski Habicht

Hi Guys,

I'm considering selling one of my 'scopes to part-fund some range-finding binoculars and hoped the forum could give me a steer on what would be a fair price to ask.

The 'scope in question is a Swarovski Habicht 3-12x50 with a 30mm tube. It has the standard 4a reticle and is 3 years old.

Condition is as new with one exception, being a very fine scratch on the front objective lens. It is not noticeable when looking through it.

I can post some pictures tonight if that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Mauser M03.

Hi Mauser,

I'd think it would be worth around 650-750 if it was immaculate, in box, with paperwork. You can sometimes get away with light scratches on the tube ie slight ring marks without effecting the price to much but with a scratch on the objective lense i'm not really sure, i suppose it depends on how noticable the scratch is??
    Last edited by Bigboab29; 16-01-2013 at 10:54.

Thanks for the reply, that is helpful and about what I thought. Scratch is noticeable if you look straight at the lens. It is purely cosmetic so I guess just depends if people care about it or not. No scratches on the tube.

here's the rub of the green. the buyer will not know until they have it in their hands what the scratch situation is, so you will probably not get anywhere near a fair market price, the risk is too big. Unless you offer a full refund service, or 'try before you buy' service.

I've had a zeiss scope before with a tiny scratch on the objective lens, and whilst it didn't affect the shooting much in 'normal' conditions, the second any sunlight came through from the objective end, it was like a kaleidascope of rays and colours in the scope..'that' is the issue with scratches, IF you get funny colours or rays when shooting directly into the sun,,it's worth very little to the stalker.

where you 'could' potentially sell it, is to a foxer who uses it at night with the light from behind - ie. a lamp.

IMHO, I'd say 250 if sold 'as is' and on a 'trust its fine basis' - no offense meant. if sold after 'test and inspection' ie after a trial period in the hands of the buyer, maybe 450.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    here's the rub of the green. the buyer will not know until they have it in their hands what the scratch situation is, so you will probably not get anywhere near a fair market price, the risk is too big. Unless you offer a full refund service, or 'try before you buy' service.

I've had a zeiss scope before with a tiny scratch on the objective lens, and whilst it didn't affect the shooting much in 'normal' conditions, the second any sunlight came through from the objective end, it was like a kaleidascope of rays and colours in the scope..'that' is the issue with scratches, IF you get funny colours or rays when shooting directly into the sun,,it's worth very little to the stalker.

where you 'could' potentially sell it, is to a foxer who uses it at night with the light from behind - ie. a lamp.

IMHO, I'd say 250 if sold 'as is' and on a 'trust its fine basis' - no offense meant. if sold after 'test and inspection' ie after a trial period in the hands of the buyer, maybe 450.
    ha ha ha, having you been sniffing something?

I'm afraid the scratch on the lense is and issue and would proberbly take at least 100 off the value, even if it has no effect on the sight picture. Put your self in a buyers shoes, would you buy a scope with a scratched lens when you could have a perfect one for a few more ?

Quote Originally Posted by 1995rs View Post
    ha ha ha, having you been sniffing something?
    no mate, I'd never buy a scope with a scratched lens again. I'm not making an offer, and the OP can confirm that. don't be cheeky. all I was giving was my 'valuation' for their benefit.

if you meant 'have' you been sniffing something...that's a negative too ;-)

I suggest that the price is that scope in A1 condition less 75% of the cost of having the damaged lens replaced by Swarovski.
    Last edited by Irish Bob; 16-01-2013 at 12:44.

Hi,is the scope for sale?

Hi there, thanks for all the responses.

Scratch has no optical effect whatsoever, I've used it in bright sunlight many times. It is purely cosmetic. I personally wouldn't bother having the lenses replaced but I could give Swaro a ring to check how much it would be.

Crimsonbullseye - yes 'scope will be for sale shortly. I'll try and post some pics if I get in from work at a decent hour tonight. Feel free to PM me if you want.
    Last edited by MauserM03; 16-01-2013 at 14:26. Reason: spelling