out of ammo and no ticket

they dont need the actual FAC
Try telling Gloucestershire that. I've submitted variations in the past without enclosing my ticket, within days I'll have a phonecall or a letter stating that nothing will be done until I get my ticket to them. Me offering to swap on day of issue of replacement has always been rejected.

Jontie, I had 7 months last year in the same position, it was hard going, so feel your frustration. Had stocked up on .22LR and had plenty of bullets for handloading, or so I thought. I was down to my last dozen or so when I got my ticket back.

they just dont care they are currently merging with stafford and only have three people in the office i sent it in for variation for .308 for deer and bore with covering land permission form with the cheque and i phone and phone and they say its being processed its a nightmare just want it back now as i am down to my last 6 foxing rounds :( and .243 is limited also i might speak to local rfd who i no well they can proberly call them as guy above said

sent licence of 12 weeks ago still not got it back anyone else having this problem with west midland police

Get on the phone. Tell them that you have no ammo, you need some as you have an irate farmer moaning about the foxes that you can't shoot and is threatening to revoke your permission, they are being inefficient and if you lose the land due to their inefficiency,or you don't have a ticket in your grubby mitts within 5 working days, you'll be making an official complaint. And ask them to 'up' your available holdings to ensure you are not in the same position the next time your ticket goes in. And back this up in writing.
And if they don't sort within a reasonable time, say, 7 days, put the complaint in. I can assure you there can not be any comeback against you as you are well within your rights as a taxpayer and customer to expect reasonable service.

You will also find that they give you better service in the future as they won't want another complaint.

Atb
Pete

they just dont care they are currently merging with stafford and only have three people in the office i sent it in for variation for .308 for deer and bore with covering land permission form with the cheque and i phone and phone and they say its being processed its a nightmare just want it back now as i am down to my last 6 foxing rounds :( and .243 is limited also i might speak to local rfd who i no well they can proberly call them as guy above said

OK . This thread has drifted onto enclosure of old FAC with renewal/variation applications, but to answer your question there's no way of getting an RFD to issue ammo without production of a valid FAC. He has a legal responsibility to record the transaction on it.

One more reason to reload I guess. :doh:

I'm pretty sure L&B will accept a phone call from a verified RFD and permit him to issue/sell ammo over the phone.

OK . This thread has drifted onto enclosure of old FAC with renewal/variation applications, but to answer your question there's no way of getting an RFD to issue ammo without production of a valid FAC. He has a legal responsibility to record the transaction on it.

one more reason to reload I guess. :doh:

There is.
as above. They don't sign it. it is not a legal document but a register of who and what (rfd number and ammo quantity)
There is no issue with who fills in the FAC and if the FLO has been ignorant enough to take you only physical proof that you have an FAC then they have a duty to fill it in when the RFD calls

I'm pretty sure L&B will accept a phone call from a verified RFD and permit him to issue/sell ammo over the phone.
they do.
even from outside L&B, I bought ammo in Northumberland and they rang L&B who added the allowance to the system.
when my new variation came through the ammo was not on it (as it was entered onto the system like all historical ammo bought is and cleared off the paper copy)

Last edited:
There is.
as above. They don't sign it. it is not a legal document but a register of who and what (rfd number and ammo quantity)
There is no issue with who fills in the FAC and if the FLO has been ignorant enough to take you only physical proof that you have an FAC then they have a duty to fill it in when the RFD calls

they do.
even from outside L&B, I bought ammo in Northumberland and they rang L&B who added the allowance to the system.
when my new variation came through the ammo was not on it (as it was entered onto the system like all historical ammo bought is and cleared off the paper copy)

Sorry to disagree, but an FAC is very much a legal document. The person issuing ammo has to inspect it and enter the transaction on it under normal circumstances. Not a third party. There might be an informal arrangement for FLD's to authorise transactions with an RFD over the 'phone, but it's an exception. Maybe this happens more often in remoter parts.

To my knowledge there isn't a central system at HQ for recording ammo - it's all on the face of Table 2 of the FAC for checking by RFD/FEO/FLD and other parties. You obviously lose all the handwritten entries and the history when the FAC is re-issued after Variation i.e. computer printed.
The FLD keep all the previous versions anyway.

I live in Edinburgh......not exactly remote but you are correct
the informal arrangement exists to circumvent a poorly structured system when FLO's insist on submission of FAC with renewal/Variation

One more reason to reload I guess. :doh:

An rfd doesnt have to record on the fac although there is a responsibility TO SEE the ticket and record the transaction on his/her register which means the details must be taken from it. I could not see Northumbria allowing ammo to be issued based on a call. These points are not exact of course and will depend on the authority.

As for the fac being late perhaps its time to engage BASC or a letter to your Chief of Police

Ring up and kick off, I nearly ran out of ammo and asked for them to return my ticket and I would return it when my new one was ready, 4 days later a new ticket arrived and ready to go! It seems with most departments the squeaky wheel gets oiled first :)

An rfd doesnt have to record on the fac although there is a responsibility TO SEE the ticket and record the transaction on his/her register which means the details must be taken from it. I could not see Northumbria allowing ammo to be issued based on a call. These points are not exact of course and will depend on the authority.

As for the fac being late perhaps its time to engage BASC or a letter to your Chief of Police

You got me thinking. I'm not an RFD, so have checked the entry requirements today with 2 RFD's in Cambs.

They're obliged to enter all issues of ammo and Expanding bullets on the FAC so need to have it. This is so that an FAC Holder can't buy more than the number of rounds (or x hundred 'Expanding Missiles' for which a separate allocation is made in Cambs.) than is authorised on the FAC.

It's obvious they'll need a contiguous history of all issues from the previous entries - or they couldn't do this.

You got me thinking. I'm not an RFD, so have checked the entry requirements today with 2 RFD's in Cambs.

They're obliged to enter all issues of ammo and Expanding bullets on the FAC so need to have it. This is so that an FAC Holder can't buy more than the number of rounds (or x hundred 'Expanding Missiles' for which a separate allocation is made in Cambs.) than is authorised on the FAC.

It's obvious they'll need a contiguous history of all issues from the previous entries - or they couldn't do this.

Sinistral.
I agree with your comments in principle however you will note that I qualified my comments by implying that it is area dependant. I am an rfd and while I will always issue a receipt and log the transaction I dont have to enter on the ticket. I will however do it as a matter of course to show usage. I always find it interesting to note the differences in practice so liked the research you did.

Don't know what you mean by that? You don't record use.

There is noting to say you can't go into your RFD at 9am and buy your full ammo allowance, shoot it my dinnertime, go back buy your full allowance again, shoot it off in the afternoon and then go back in before closing to buy your full holding again.

It's only you in bother if you have too much ammo, not the RFD.

Don't know what you mean by that? You don't record use. There is noting to say you can't go into your RFD at 9am and buy your full ammo allowance, shoot it my dinnertime, go back buy your full allowance again, shoot it off in the afternoon and then go back in before closing to buy your full holding again. It's only you in bother if you have too much ammo, not the RFD.
Agree. Your holding limit will always be more than what you can buy at any one time, so you could fire off your full "buy at one time" allowance twice in a day, and STILL not have bought your holding limit even with those 2 events combined. What's to stop you visiting 2 or 3 RFDs during the day and claim that you've just shot the previous purchase...? That's your call, but if Plod rock up asking questions, you'd better have a bl**dy good answer as to why you have so much ammo in your safe!!! Cheers i.

west mercia always aks for your FAC to be enclosed, if its going to any length of time, can they not issuse a temp FAC?, section 8 permit i think

Back