Thread: scopes

scopes

i have a schmit and bender 8x56 30mm tube.can i get much better if i spend a grand,or is it better to stick with the old if it aint broke dont fix it.i dont want to leave s & b they are good scopes but if i can get better i would.any ideas?????????????

Depends what you class as better! When and what are you using it for? I have 2 of these scopes and think they are great. I also have a 4-16x50 S&B and that's better at longer range shooting. The 8x56's are great simple scopes that are perfect for low light, medium range shooting. What range do you shoot and what conditions/ time of day do you shoot at?

For foxing stalking not rearly, i have two 8x56's one 8x50 swarovski and a 4-16 x 56 S&B my foxing rifles wear the 8x56's stalking rifle 8x50.

for Range work i use the 4-16x56 you will only improve for range work over 400m and then will only see an improvement if you buy used at 1000 .

Rob ill probably be shot down for this but clarity wise I can't see any difference between my Swarovski and zeiss scopes and my mates SnB 8x56 the only advantage I have is the ability to zoom. Where I found the SnB fault erred a little was the cross hair compared to the ones I have but if you can live with the lack of zoom and the reticle why change.

Quote Originally Posted by Hw60sniper View Post
    Rob ill probably be shot down for this but clarity wise I can't see any difference between my Swarovski and zeiss scopes and my mates SnB 8x56 the only advantage I have is the ability to zoom. Where I found the SnB fault erred a little was the cross hair compared to the ones I have but if you can live with the lack of zoom and the reticle why change.
    +1

They are as good as they get for what they were designed for. Deer shooting at short range.

Simple - fuss free and great optics- but then again you already know this.

For longer range shooting there are better scopes out there by far.
    All thing equal - I would have a a vari-mag scope every time - they are more versitile

I guess the question is - how many deer have you not been able to shoot because you have your S&B? If the answer is coming to over 1000 worth then maybe it is time to look around.

Of course if you just fancy another scope then that is a different matter. I too have an S&B 8X56, Of the scopes I've had the chance to look through and play with I'd rate glass quality like this:

1. Nickel
    2. Zeiss
    3. S&B and Swaro

Of course people, generally, buy scopes for reasons other than glass quality plus I've not looked through some of the latest Zeiss and suspect they might be another small step forward and perhaps even better than Nickel now.

My S&B is more than adequate for anything I've ever needed it for so much as I'd like a Nickel there is no actual advantage in terms of my shooting ability. If, however, I spend the 2k+ on paid days, leases, syndicates, trips to stalk etc. then that would make a big difference to my ability to shoot deer.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

its all very helpful,i use my rifle for all aspects of my job and it is never been a problem.i think ive answered my owe question really just some times another vue point can be helpful.in reality ive shot foxes at 250yards(our ground is not a place where the 350 shot are that safe 250 i think is max)and deer close so i think ill stick with what i have and know.thanks for help on the subject Rob.