Thread: Taking gun to Ireland

Taking gun to Ireland

Hi all any help .how hard is it get your stalking rifle over their ....

I went stalking with John Fenton in Wicklow. The Visitors Permit took about 4 weeks to get and the Deer Hunting License was issued in August. The form filling is a piece of cake.

Neil,

First of all let me say I forgive you ... only me an thee knows what that means,

So, Ireland ?

You will need a license TO HUNT EXEMPTED WILD MAMMALS from the IRISH NATIONAL PARKS WILDLIFE DEPARTMENT
    You will need a CERTIFICATE FOR A REGISTERED FIREARM .. EUROPEAN FIREARMS LICENSE
    You will need written permission / proof of where you intend to shoot and dates that you intend to be shooting / stalking

When you have all that sorted out you will need to find an Airline / Ferry Company that will allow you to take a firearm on board, I used to go by ferry from Holyhead to Dun laoghaire with Stena line, but they stopped allowing firearms and ammunition on board their ferries as myself and HWH Stagg1933 found out to our cost some years ago, so, I used Ryanair till they stopped allowing firearms etc etc etc. It`s a bit of a pain trying to get any airline to take a rifle and ammo to Ireland, I`d love to know of one that does

I now have it all sorted and have everything on hand over in Ireland, if you have a problem contact one of the shooting organisations such as BASC or NGO

Hope this helps

Bob
    Last edited by bobg757; 16-01-2013 at 21:27.

Just read Conor1`s post. Yep the paperwork is easy it`s getting the rifle and ammo into Ireland FROM the UK thats a pain

Bob

Do Easyjet fly to Ireland? I fly with Swiss with my guns on a monthly basis..............................its like catching the bus!

Ok many thanks for your help . I will shoot the stalkers rifle then cheers all Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Conor1 View Post
    Do Easyjet fly to Ireland? I fly with Swiss with my guns on a monthly basis..............................its like catching the bus!
    At least you have sensible people in authority which makes takeing your rifle and ammo to wherever you fly to easy, as you say it`s like catching a bus

Authorities over here are mostly uneducated with the movement of firearms from the UK. to Ireland, to take firearms anywhere else in the world doesn`t seem to be much of a problem

Last time I tried to take a rifle to Ireland it meant I would have had to book with Swissair fly to Zurich and then fly from Zurich back to Dublin, and the same in reverse for my return

Having everything in Ireland now, all I have to do is catch a flight from Leeds Bradford airport and 35 mins later I`m in Dublin, and 1 hour later I`m in my stalking ground, cheaper and quicker to get out there than it is to some of my ground at home

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobg757 View Post
    At least you have sensible people in authority which makes takeing your rifle and ammo to wherever you fly to easy, as you say it`s like catching a bus

Authorities over here are mostly uneducated with the movement of firearms from the UK. to Ireland, to take firearms anywhere else in the world doesn`t seem to be much of a problem

Last time I tried to take a rifle to Ireland it meant I would have had to book with Swissair fly to Zurich and then fly from Zurich back to Dublin, and the same in reverse for my return

Having everything in Ireland now, all I have to do is catch a flight from Leeds Bradford airport and 35 mins later I`m in Dublin, and 1 hour later I`m in my stalking ground, cheaper and quicker to get out there than it is to some of my ground at home

Bob
    Glad its all sorted now............................................

Gentlemen , Aer Lingus ,have no problems with people travelling with sporting firearms,they do charge but that's to be expect . Paperwork for licences is per the earlier posts.

K D

To the best of my knowledge it's only the high speed ferries that are sticky and it's ammo only that they kick up about. If you want to use your own rifle, ask your host what ammo he can get and zero your rifle for same. My friend from Northumberland uses Federal in his 6.5 X 55, and that is widely available. Less popular calibres and ammunition makers have become harder to source because of the additional costs attached to the restrictions on licenced carriers. Myself and a friend got deer hunting licences and firearms certs for German guests in under two weeks. So don't give up on the idea of bringing your own rifle just yet. Deer hunting licences expire at the end of July. Visitors firearms cert are valid for 12 months from date of issue. Things will go smoother if you process your paperwork through your host. You will need a European Firearms Pass. You are supposed to be able to send a copy, but if you can afford to be parted from the original it's better.
    Good hunting
    Ion
    Last edited by ion; 21-01-2013 at 22:51.