Thread: Winterwatch - sassenach mispronunciation ?

Winterwatch - sassenach mispronunciation ?

Am I right in thinking Aigas, the 'base' for Winterwatch, should be pronounced Aigish ?
    - Or was my informant misinformed ?!

Sorry i missed that ,i was more interested in Kate Humbles live beaver action, nearly chocked on my tea

my mother, a gaelic speaker, always called it 'aigish'

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn71 View Post
    Sorry i missed that ,i was more interested in Kate Humbles live beaver action, nearly chocked on my tea
    Would that be Brazilian or European beaver?

It's a long 'S' as in 'see' in English - so not 'sh'.

If the word starts with 'S' as in 'sionnach' (fox) it's usually 'sh' .
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

I had the FC lease on Aigas forest for a few years - and yes it should be pronounced Aigish but seldom is.

Not being in the country right now (nor having seen Kate Humble's beaver.....) I'm not sure where it was filmed - but the B*****d next door, Aigas Field Centre, sneaked in and shot a few of my beasts.

Shot a few good stags there - but you always had a nagging doubt that they had come down off Orin or Strathfarrer Forests.

Quote Originally Posted by kuwinda View Post
    I had the FC lease on Aigas forest for a few years - and yes it should be pronounced Aigish but seldom is.

Not being in the country right now (nor having seen Kate Humble's beaver.....) I'm not sure where it was filmed - but the B*****d next door, Aigas Field Centre, sneaked in and shot a few of my beasts.

Shot a few good stags there - but you always had a nagging doubt that they had come down off Orin or Strathfarrer Forests.

Watched it but must have missed Kate Humble saw the other wench tho !
    Worked Strathfarrer myself when Sandy Duncan was head keeper at Monar !

Aigas is in Strathglass - the forest runs from the river (Beauly) up to the high ground - about 700 odd acres, it is adjacent Aigas Field Centre - owned by Sir John Lister Kaye.

I don't think the FC lets it now - there was a proposal to make it a 'community forest' - whatever that is. Not sure of the current status.

Nice ground with some old forest - very few roe and few hefted reds but some always came in with the cold weather from th e high ground.

+ 1 for Kate Humbles hairy beaver. Not too bothered about that funny looking little thing with a nose like a proboscis monkey who seems to be presenting it at the moment.
    I wonder if Chris Packham is getting a bit of "smelly finger" off her?
    S.