Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating what you have shot?

Eating what you have shot?

How does it work in Africa?

Is the meat the clients or property of the lodge until you purchase? Does large game get shared out between the locals or does it go to game dealers?

If hunting tented can you tuck in that night around the camp fire kind of thing? I'm guessing this is a stupid question but... there's no way of getting any back to the UK for the family is there?

AJWH

AJWH,

1. You can't bring meat back, even processed.

2. All game meat goes into the food chain, except zebra. That goes to Lion farms as no one eats horse.

3. If your a local then you pay a cheap rate and the meat is yours. If your a foreigner then the rate is higher and the meat goes to the business, after all it's a business.

4. If you hunt the same place regularly then you can get the meat to give to your mate in Jo'burg.......

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    AJWH,

2. All game meat goes into the food chain, except zebra. That goes to Lion farms as no one eats horse.

Stan
    Aren't Tesco interested? atb Tim

1. In RSA we process Zebra meat in sausage's called cabanossi. i distribute 2-3 tons a week to the Jo'burg and surrounding area's - excellent stuff...

2. Meat normally gets consumed in camp if the client want's to (part of camp diet), there after it gets sold...you can't eat up a whole Eland in n week...

Yes, you can sleeep next to the fire as much as you like, afterall it is Africa and "in Rome..."

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    AJWH,

1. You can't bring meat back, even processed.

3. If your a local then you pay a cheap rate and the meat is yours. If your a foreigner then the rate is higher and the meat goes to the business, after all it's a business.

4. If you hunt the same place regularly then you can get the meat to give to your mate in Jo'burg.......

Stan
    Last edited by Bushwack; 17-01-2013 at 05:52.

I don't know how it works in Africa but I helped a Vet put a couple of horses down last week.........
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Quote Originally Posted by tjwaines View Post
    I don't know how it works in Africa but I helped a Vet put a couple of horses down last week.........
    And ?

Thanks guys,

Guessed as much about bringing meat back but the zebra comment surprises me as i've heard it's one of the tastiest. Fully understand about it being a business but for me, being able to eat at least some of what I had shot would be an essential part of the experience, so the camp diet sounds good to me!

you've lost me but cheers for the input tjwaines..

Our trackers and Game Scouts in Namibia, couldn't wait for me to shoot a zebra as they hold a lot of fat, and this was what they were looking forward to, as well as the meat.

Moose

When I went to SA a few years ago, we ate what had been shot the week before, what we shot would get eaten the following week.....etc. You get the idea.

I tried warthog, bushbuck, eland - and zebra steak (and very nice it was too as I recall!)

(Obviously we were only taking a small part of the meat, I couldn't eat a whole eland. Not with my sylph-like physique......)
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

There is nothing wrong with Zebra, lovely steaks. As above it generally gets processed into sausage as the dealers don't like taking it.
    When we are culling antelope it all goes to the game dealers except the internals which the locals go mad for!!