Eating what you have shot?

AJWH

How does it work in Africa?

Is the meat the clients or property of the lodge until you purchase? Does large game get shared out between the locals or does it go to game dealers?

If hunting tented can you tuck in that night around the camp fire kind of thing? I'm guessing this is a stupid question but... there's no way of getting any back to the UK for the family is there?

AJWH

AJWH,

1. You can't bring meat back, even processed.

2. All game meat goes into the food chain, except zebra. That goes to Lion farms as no one eats horse.

3. If your a local then you pay a cheap rate and the meat is yours. If your a foreigner then the rate is higher and the meat goes to the business, after all it's a business.

4. If you hunt the same place regularly then you can get the meat to give to your mate in Jo'burg.......

Stan

1. In RSA we process Zebra meat in sausage's called cabanossi. i distribute 2-3 tons a week to the Jo'burg and surrounding area's - excellent stuff...

2. Meat normally gets consumed in camp if the client want's to (part of camp diet), there after it gets sold...you can't eat up a whole Eland in n week...

Yes, you can sleeep next to the fire as much as you like, afterall it is Africa and "in Rome..."

AJWH,

1. You can't bring meat back, even processed.

2. All game meat goes into the food chain, except zebra. That goes to Lion farms as no one eats horse.

3. If your a local then you pay a cheap rate and the meat is yours. If your a foreigner then the rate is higher and the meat goes to the business, after all it's a business.

4. If you hunt the same place regularly then you can get the meat to give to your mate in Jo'burg.......

Stan

Last edited:
I don't know how it works in Africa but I helped a Vet put a couple of horses down last week.........

Thanks guys,

Guessed as much about bringing meat back but the zebra comment surprises me as i've heard it's one of the tastiest. Fully understand about it being a business but for me, being able to eat at least some of what I had shot would be an essential part of the experience, so the camp diet sounds good to me!

you've lost me but cheers for the input tjwaines..

Our trackers and Game Scouts in Namibia, couldn't wait for me to shoot a zebra as they hold a lot of fat, and this was what they were looking forward to, as well as the meat.

Moose

When I went to SA a few years ago, we ate what had been shot the week before, what we shot would get eaten the following week.....etc. You get the idea.:D

I tried warthog, bushbuck, eland - and zebra steak (and very nice it was too as I recall!:D)

(Obviously we were only taking a small part of the meat, I couldn't eat a whole eland. Not with my sylph-like physique......:eek::rolleyes:)

There is nothing wrong with Zebra, lovely steaks. As above it generally gets processed into sausage as the dealers don't like taking it.
When we are culling antelope it all goes to the game dealers except the internals which the locals go mad for!!

Last year we had a novel dinner, by way of a quiz. Our chef prepared small dishes of Impala, Red Lechwe, Kudu, Zebra and Ostrich. They were served one after the other and the clients had to guess the meat and rate it one to five, in order of preference. Almost unanimously it was Zebra, Kudu, Ostrich, Impala and Red Lechwe.

Zebra's definitely on my list then, would love to do a dinner like that one day!

Last year we had a novel dinner, by way of a quiz. Our chef prepared small dishes of Impala, Red Lechwe, Kudu, Zebra and Ostrich. They were served one after the other and the clients had to guess the meat and rate it one to five, in order of preference. Almost unanimously it was Zebra, Kudu, Ostrich, Impala and Red Lechwe.

Agree! When I lived in Zambia we had many an excursions in Zimbabwe and South Africa, as well as hunting in Zambia. I never tried Red Lechwe but the rest are truly tasty...

Last edited:
I took a nice Hartmanns Zebra in Northern Namibia a couple of years ago and when we went to the local Meat house (as the camp boys called it) about 30 people had rocked up to come get some and shake my hand for shooting such a big one. I was quite taken aback but it was nice to see everyone happy. I also got to eat some of the fillet off my Kudu Bull cooked on the Briar :drool: I still dream about it these days.

I was realy looking forward to trying warthog, dont ask me why just out of curiosity i supose, although we shot a few i never did get any , so i would make a point of trying everything you want to get the full experiance , thats one regret i made , have a good'en ALB , arron.

Back