Weight Saving

Bigboab29

Hi Guys,

I have a rem 700 laminate varmint, and with my t8 on it and scoped up it weighs almost 13.5lbs, i was just wondering if theres anyway to save some weight. My scope is a z6 2.5-15x44 so thats not to heavy as far as scopes go. Would another moderator help loose much? Possibly fluting the existing varmint barrel (if its even possible to retro flute a barrel) Is a varmint stock a heavy option or is it just they same as a standard stock weight?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Rob

Bob, I myself have a Remmy 700 SPS Tactical. On paper i think it's marginally lighter (synthetic stock and 20" barrel) however my S&B is heavy as is my Wildcat Pred 8 Mod. I too have bitched and thought how can I lighten it. After a good ponder and getting hands on a few alternative Mods,a mate of mine simply stated 'if this is for stalking, do you REALLY need the Mod?' I had a think and I don't reckon I do! Yes it's nice but is it really necessary? That's for each individual to decide but I'm seriously thinking of taking mine off next time I'm out (it'll need a check zero obviously)

Feel the weight without it...!

Just my 2p's worth mate!

ATB

Deano

I have to use a moderator on some of my stalking, so I can understand if you do need to use one.

If you want to lose weight on your rig an easy way would be to buy a CMM4 mod which weighs about 220g instead of your T8 which weighs about 700g.

Varmint profile barrels are normally heavier than sporters, and the same goes for varmint stocks. Neither are designed for stalking purposes. Why not keep your vaminter for what it is made for and buy a stalking rifle that weighs a lot less? Any excuse to buy another rifle is always good ;)

Simon

I am bugg#red if I would cart around a 4 foot rifle that weighs a stone.

Trade the damn thing in for a sporter, get a 20" barrel and a Roedale mod, transfer your scope to the new rifle.

Job done and you are down 5 or 6 pounds....

Hi Guys,

I have a rem 700 laminate varmint, and with my t8 on it and scoped up it weighs almost 13.5lbs, i was just wondering if theres anyway to save some weight. My scope is a z6 2.5-15x44 so thats not to heavy as far as scopes go. Would another moderator help loose much? Possibly fluting the existing varmint barrel (if its even possible to retro flute a barrel) Is a varmint stock a heavy option or is it just they same as a standard stock weight?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Rob

you have only 2 reasonable options
1. sell the gun and buy a suitable weight model
2.join a gym

Unscrew that varmint barrel and put on a sporter weight. 3-9x36 Swarovski scope. Get rid of moderator. Stock -take a file / rasp and slim it up.

Or lose a stone in weight - cheaper all round!

I think Brian is right.
You'll save a pound with a different mod and another pound maybe even pound and a half with with a very light stock.
Maybe a bit by chopping a barrel but it will still be fairly heavy. Just weighed my friends 20" varmint Howa with
light mod (200gr) and light stock (800gr) 3-12x50 S&B classic at 4.8kg incl. sling. Not much one can save on this rig anymore.
A 20" sporter remmy with the same stock and light leupold scope weighs 3.4kg incl. mod
My 20" sporter Mauser in 308 weighs 3.8kg with mod and scope.

Best is to weigh components, never rely on light...or very light

edi

Aaaagghhh......weight weenies! As soon as I hear people comparing weights (in grams!!) of two near identical bits of kit I worry, I really worry. Let's face it, the easiest way to lose 5 lb from your stalking outfit is to stop eating the pies.

I thought I'd left all this behind when I stopped cycling :D For those who don't know (or indeed care) the standard answer in cycling to any question to do with weight is "do you do this in carbon?"

http://youtu.be/GMCkuqL9IcM

(some of us believe that video is a documentary, not a spoof)

So with stalking let's see how long it is before people are suggesting switching to carbon - stock, scope, barrel, rings, mod, etc.

And if you do get the urge to weight individual bits of kit on the kitchen scales here's a hint; you really need to get out stalking more.

willie_gunn

Aaaagghhh......weight weenies! As soon as I hear people comparing weights (in grams!!) of two near identical bits of kit I worry, I really worry. Let's face it, the easiest way to lose 5 lb from your stalking outfit is to stop eating the pies.

I thought I'd left all this behind when I stopped cycling :D For those who don't know (or indeed care) the standard answer in cycling to any question to do with weight is "do you do this in carbon?"

http://youtu.be/GMCkuqL9IcM

(some of us believe that video is a documentary, not a spoof)

So with stalking let's see how long it is before people are suggesting switching to carbon - stock, scope, barrel, rings, mod, etc.

And if you do get the urge to weight individual bits of kit on the kitchen scales here's a hint; you really need to get out stalking more.

willie_gunn

very true, and of course, a too light stock will cause a b@5tard of a recoil, so weight is not always a bad thing..equipment that is 'fit for purpose' is the name of the game.

Willie, you can jump up and down it won't help.
Weight is an issue on anything in movement. Bullets even get weighed in grains.

Even hundred years ago they went through great lengths to reduce weight on guns/rifles. Nothing new.
Now we have the advantage of a greater variety of materials.

Why on earth would I carry a 10lb rifle if I have a rifle of same accuracy weighing 7lb?

edi

I do believe I read an article about a carbon rifle now that it's been mentioned, carbon stock, action, and a barrel that was steel, but very very thin, and then strenghened in carbon on the outside. can't recall the total weight, but it was next to nothing.

personally, aesthetics and tradition come high up on the list so I'd rather have 10 classic wood/blued rifles than 1 super-duper-tacti-fok-them-up-from-5000-yards-super-light-big-slong-rifle-in-.338LM

..sorry, couldn't help it....Fridays and just out of a meeting, so can't wait to go home!!:rolleyes:

very true, and of course, a too light stock will cause a b@5tard of a recoil, so weight is not always a bad thing..equipment that is 'fit for purpose' is the name of the game.

Indeed! Thanks to JabaliHunter I recently got hold of a copy on English Big Bore guns and there are some photos in there of shooting 2 and 4 bore rifles that make me wince just looking at them!

http://youtu.be/eXoa5zNn0TU

willie_gunn

Willie, you can jump up and down it won't help.
Weight is an issue on anything in movement. Bullets even get weighed in grains.

Even hundred years ago they went through great lengths to reduce weight on guns/rifles. Nothing new.
Now we have the advantage of a greater variety of materials.

Why on earth would I carry a 10lb rifle if I have a rifle of same accuracy weighing 7lb?

edi

Edi

I understand all that, it's just I've already seen another pastime I love become fixated with the weight of individual components almost as an end in its own right, rather than a means to an end. I just worry that stalking will go the same way.....

willie_gunn

Edi

I understand all that, it's just I've already seen another pastime I love become fixated with the weight of individual components almost as an end in its own right, rather than a means to an end. I just worry that stalking will go the same way.....

willie_gunn

can't beat an old RL Winston IM6 8' 4wt TMF ;)

See it shoot it had the best answer !

Sell it and buy a lighter rifle.
I had a T8 and when it was scrap bought a CMM4 It works great on my .17 fireball and .22/250. BUT was crap on the rifle i bought it for .
GAS cut too. Ase s5 is better

i would go for a new rifle and the s5 (just got mine) are the dogs kahoonas,

i am thinking of a 6x47 myself and that will have a 22" barrel and be a medium weight barrel, zeiss scope and internal mag system,

i hope to keep it to about 6/7 lb max.#

bob.

Back