Crow shooting legality

Bad Wolf

Hi there, my FAC is for vermin and most times I just shoot rabbits with my hmr. Recently the owners of my local golf course have complained about crows/rooks stealing golf balls from the greens and I have been asked to help. Before I do so, does anyone know of a possible legal issue re' killing crows/rooks that are not damaging farmland ?

How do you know when they leave the golf course they are not damaging farm land they cannot live on golfballs.

The general licence says crows can be shot to prevent damage to farm land, if you have a problem tell the police the crows were coming from farmland they were damaging.

its not just the pinching of golf balls get the secretary or head greenkeeper to do you a letter as the crows are damaging the fairways looking for leather jackets and believe me they do a hell of alot of damage ,i spent 6 years as a greenkeeper and they are a bloody neusence, atb wayne

I note from your profile you come from Pembrokeshire then you should be aware of the crow lookalike with red legs called a Chuff, a friend of mine ended up in Swansea Crown Court for mistakenly shooting one of these some time ago:doh:. Just a word of warning:scared:.

Tell him to spray and that will clear the leather jackets which are doing far more damage than the rooks, the rooks are only a secondary problem.

I note from your profile you come from Pembrokeshire then you should be aware of the crow lookalike with red legs called a Chuff, a friend of mine ended up in Swansea Crown Court for mistakenly shooting one of these some time ago:doh:. Just a word of warning:scared:.
look for the colour of legs

Nope you're all wrong - read the general licence gumf!!! It does say to prevent damage of crops, but also allows you to controll corvids to protect songbirds, or prevent a hazard to human health (crow poo and saliva on golf balls counts!).

I can rarely be bothered to read sporting rifle, but clearly remember an article in there where they were shooting crows for stealing golf balls - apparently there's even something in the general licence literature that covers controlling "vermin" classified species that infringe on recreational activity!

Murder away pal, though I'm assuming you're able to identify a crow regardless of previous posts - in case not here's a key tip: they look like crows!!!! ;)

Nope you're all wrong - read the general licence gumf!!! It does say to prevent damage of crops, but also allows you to controll corvids to protect songbirds, or prevent a hazard to human health (crow poo and saliva on golf balls counts!).

I can rarely be bothered to read sporting rifle, but clearly remember an article in there where they were shooting crows for stealing golf balls - apparently there's even something in the general licence literature that covers controlling "vermin" classified species that infringe on recreational activity!

Murder away pal, though I'm assuming you're able to identify a crow regardless of previous posts - in case not here's a key tip: they look like crows!!!! ;)

Best crack on with the murdering though because once we get the light evenings back all and sundry will be out trying to improve their "handicap". I have always thought these people who knock little balls about with a club a bit "special" lol
Down this way in the garden of England we have no such problems with ID, Rooks have grey bills Crows have black and the little fellas are Jackdaws, Simples, I dont personally have a problem with Rooks but Crows are another matter entirely.

ATB WB

Would be worth you printing off both the types of general licence and highlighting the sections and reasons that apply to you - if challenged you can refer to them straight away.

I usually go down the "protection of native species" route when controlling canadian geese, and also photograph any fouling to prove slipping/health/germ hazard.

For crows it's usually justifiable in the name of protection of song birds etc, and any fouling they're doing or even hanging around food/drink areas on the course is fine.

Murder away pal,
though I'm assuming you're able to identify a crow regardless of previous posts - in case not here's a key tip: they look like crows!!!! ;)

Ravens do a pretty good crow impression if the range is right (& they keep quiet!:)):norty:

Back