Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 roe deer antler for walking stick

1 roe deer antler for walking stick

Hi fellas, I'm after a piece of Roe antler to top off a walking stick if anyone has a bit for sale please?

Many thanks,

Stratts

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Hi fellas, I'm after a piece of Roe antler to top off a walking stick if anyone has a bit for sale please?

Many thanks,

Stratts
    Stratts

What exactly are you after? The whole antler or just a piece? What I would say is that it is difficult to find roe antlers suitable for topping off walking sticks - most are too long, too pointy or too thin to be of use, which is why most sticks are typically finished with red or fallow antler.

Let me know what you're after and I'll see what I've got.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Hi mate thanks for the reply I was reading on one of your threads about sticks and priests earlier and was gonna PM you!

Just after something to top off a hazel beating stick nicely. It did have a nice curved crook but it snapped off whilst I was beating down some fir trees on a shoot and I lost it!

Also have a piece of antler I was going to turn into a priest but didn't know how to do it. Any pointers please?

Stratts

Stratts

For the beating stick I'd recommend a nice piece of red stag antler. If you can measure the diameter of the top of the hazel shank you've got and PM it to me, I'll see if I've got a suitable piece in my workshop.

So far as the priest, no real pointers other than the key is to get enough weight into the end of it. I use a small lead smelter, drill out the antler so that all the core pith is removed from one end, then fill it up with the molten lead. Having smoothed it down so it's nice and level I then top it off with a piece of hardwood, both glued and pinned in place using 3mm brass rod and then shaped, sanded and polished. At the non-weighted end I drill a hole and thread a length of leather bootlace/thonging. Jobs a goon-un!

willie_gunn

Cheers mate I'll get onto it. I saw those on the other thread which gave me the idea, they look good. What are the toggle bits?

Just a heads up too, some fella on ebay has 3 bits of the wood you use for a tenner coz he's giving up crafting if you need any more.

PM inbound mate, here's the busted stick!!

You need to measure the diameter where the two bits of wood (the shank and the handle) meet - that's where you'll have to cut the handle off and fix the new one.

The toggles on the priests are points off a red deer antler that are then cut, rounded and sanded.

Got your PM's and will reply tomorrow.

willie_gunn
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 17-01-2013 at 22:03.

Thanks mate that part is virtually circular, 25mm across.

Was thinking along these lines, or similar.

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roe stick.JPG  

Hi chaps thought I'd resurrect this thread as I forgot all about sorting my stick until I got it out the garage to go beating yesterday!!

My twin boys have also asked me to make them a little walking stick each with some antler on. Seeing as it looks like my bad run of stalking is continuing and it'll take forever to get any myself, does anyone have a couple of small bits that will top two sticks for 5 year old hands I could buy. Anything will do.

PM me if so please,

Cheers
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Call in here and take your pick foc.