Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone using real winter tyres

Anyone using real winter tyres

Just wondered as the snow has hit the UK how many SD members use a spare set of wheels set up just for winter use with low hysteris rubber (winter) tyres as we do here in Germany, By law I must add.
    They function better in grip and braking distance up to plus 7 degrees Celcius I am reliably informed.
    Martin

Don't use low hysteris rubber (winter) tyres but do use Goodyear MTR's in the snow, great grip.

Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Yes full snow tyres that incidentally can be identified as such by a snowflake motif on the sidewall, are fitted to my Subaru Forester every December and stay on until late spring. Wow do they work! Two years ago with 14 inches of snow they saved me from the British Snow Paralysis Syndrome. They should be a legal requirement in the UK. Simples! Cheers, K

Winter tyres on the front till march

if you have 4 wheel drive you dont need them but they are gr8 on my bros car its just softer rubber really

I have them on my 4x4 every November thru to the spring, invaluable where I live.
    TonyC

Quote Originally Posted by Krabryn View Post
    They should be a legal requirement in the UK. Simples! Cheers, K
    You have to be joking
    You think we should all spend a small fortune on extra wheels and tires, plus find somewhere to store them for the maybe 3 or 4 days of snow we may or may not get.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    You have to be joking
    You think we should all spend a small fortune on extra wheels and tires, plus find somewhere to store them for the maybe 3 or 4 days of snow we may or may not get.

Neil.

yes!
    Or if you can't drive in snow stay or are likely to get stuck they should stay at home!

the number of idiots who blocked my street trying to get their BMW/Merc/Alfa/Toyota/Kia/Freelander (yes! it happened!) up the road in stuipd skinny low profile summer tyres with no concept of how to drive.......

I should have been charging a tenner a time to pull the morons out!

I run Nokian WRG2's on a Audi
    Awesome in snow and wet, second set I have had and I left this set on all year
    no significant wear over normal tyres, I do about 15k miles a years mostly city and country road, some motorway

best thing I have bought for this car

No Neil, 1 set of wheels have tyre house swap em over & store others if you need. After initial outlay and not much more in price than summer ones, two sets of tyres last twice as long and may just save your life - a no brainer. Cheers, K

BF Goodrich AT's and chains back and front if required.

Got to be careful with fitment of rear ones as they can clip.

K