Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What calibre pistol is best for humane dispatch

What calibre pistol is best for humane dispatch

Hi everyone , I have a question that I wondered if any one could answer??

What is the best pistol caliber for humain culling ?? The reason I ask is that I have spoken to my firearms officer about humaine culling and explained that I would like to get into this field , he was very concerned until I explained my reasoning . After some more chatting he agreed to it , so what in your opinions would be the best weapon .. Thanks MRlott

Once again a controversial subject that has been discussed many times on this forum and on which much good advise has been given by those with relevant experience. I would suggest a search of previous postings will prove very enlightening. I do ask though why you should want to raise such a subject when you have admitted previously that you are new to stalking. My own personal view would be to leave well alone for the time being and look again at this subject when you have a bit more experience, but like I say that’s only my personal view.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by MRlott View Post
    Hi everyone , I have a question that I wondered if any one could answer??

What is the best pistol caliber for humain culling ?? The reason I ask is that I have spoken to my firearms officer about humaine culling and explained that I would like to get into this field , he was very concerned until I explained my reasoning . After some more chatting he agreed to it , so what in your opinions would be the best weapon .. Thanks MRlott
    Why would you want to get into this field, unless it was essential ?
    Best left to those that NEED to do it and those that know what they are doing IMHO

I find a .270 with a 24" barrel usually works just fine.
    Bit tricky to get in the belt holster though

My Father put all sorts of animals down with a 32 ACP in a short mauser pistol. Including Kudu.
    Nowadays that would not be strong enough. I'd keep it simple and maybe choose a 9mm with the right bullet for purpose.
    At least one has good choice of ammo. Another option would be a 357 mag revolver as one can also use the weaker 38 special cartridges.
    edi

I agree with the above posts, don't get involved unless you have to. To answer your question I would go for either 38/357 as this could mainly be used with light 38s for contact distance or with snotty 357 hollow points if a chest shot is needed. What I would add is that a pistol should in most cases be a backup to a long gun be that rifle or appropriately loaded shotgun

.410 pistol or standard shotgun with normal game load at close range is completely effective, easier to aim and much safer than a pistol bullet.
    I use a moderated folding .410. No need for a pistol. Too innaccurate and danger of ricochet. Also a lot of extra hassle.
    MS

This is interesting, are you a vet? and what exactly do you mean by humane culling?
    I ask because last time I discussed this I was told Kent Police were very very reluctant to issue, to a stalker, a variation for a pistol for humaine despatch (although I do know of one held) and I since you have been successful I would like to re submit a application using your arguement-if appropriate

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    .410 pistol or standard shotgun with normal game load at close range is completely effective, easier to aim and much safer than a pistol bullet.
    I use a moderated folding .410. No need for a pistol. Too innaccurate and danger of ricochet. Also a lot of extra hassle.
    MS
    100% spot on!

It is really not the right tool for the job. I have one, yet in the situations you describe it is never my 1st, 2nd or even 3rd choice. I use mine for shooting cattle and horses. I have shot a few deer with it, but only because I had it with me and to get another gun from home would have caused significant delay.

For a deer at the side of the road my choice would be:

1st - shotgun (any calibre, .410 plenty but a 12G with some large shot would deal with a walking wounded [SG])
    2nd - captive bolt assuming no antlers or moribund
    3rd - .22 rimfire
    4th - pistol
    5th - larger rifle.

Humane dispatch is not fun. You are dealing with a situation where there may be emotional people, injured people, people who just want to help 'Bambi'. You may be thrust into that yourself with no police.

I fail to see any attraction in this sort of work.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.