What calibre pistol is best for humane dispatch

MRlott

Hi everyone , I have a question that I wondered if any one could answer??

What is the best pistol caliber for humain culling ?? The reason I ask is that I have spoken to my firearms officer about humaine culling and explained that I would like to get into this field , he was very concerned until I explained my reasoning . After some more chatting he agreed to it , so what in your opinions would be the best weapon .. Thanks MRlott

Once again a controversial subject that has been discussed many times on this forum and on which much good advise has been given by those with relevant experience. I would suggest a search of previous postings will prove very enlightening. I do ask though why you should want to raise such a subject when you have admitted previously that you are new to stalking. My own personal view would be to leave well alone for the time being and look again at this subject when you have a bit more experience, but like I say that’s only my personal view.

Hi everyone , I have a question that I wondered if any one could answer??

What is the best pistol caliber for humain culling ?? The reason I ask is that I have spoken to my firearms officer about humaine culling and explained that I would like to get into this field , he was very concerned until I explained my reasoning . After some more chatting he agreed to it , so what in your opinions would be the best weapon .. Thanks MRlott

Why would you want to get into this field, unless it was essential ?
Best left to those that NEED to do it and those that know what they are doing IMHO

I find a .270 with a 24" barrel usually works just fine.
Bit tricky to get in the belt holster though

My Father put all sorts of animals down with a 32 ACP in a short mauser pistol. Including Kudu.
Nowadays that would not be strong enough. I'd keep it simple and maybe choose a 9mm with the right bullet for purpose.
At least one has good choice of ammo. Another option would be a 357 mag revolver as one can also use the weaker 38 special cartridges.
edi

I agree with the above posts, don't get involved unless you have to. To answer your question I would go for either 38/357 as this could mainly be used with light 38s for contact distance or with snotty 357 hollow points if a chest shot is needed. What I would add is that a pistol should in most cases be a backup to a long gun be that rifle or appropriately loaded shotgun

.410 pistol or standard shotgun with normal game load at close range is completely effective, easier to aim and much safer than a pistol bullet.
I use a moderated folding .410. No need for a pistol. Too innaccurate and danger of ricochet. Also a lot of extra hassle.
MS

This is interesting, are you a vet? and what exactly do you mean by humane culling?
I ask because last time I discussed this I was told Kent Police were very very reluctant to issue, to a stalker, a variation for a pistol for humaine despatch (although I do know of one held) and I since you have been successful I would like to re submit a application using your arguement-if appropriate

Cheers

.410 pistol or standard shotgun with normal game load at close range is completely effective, easier to aim and much safer than a pistol bullet.
I use a moderated folding .410. No need for a pistol. Too innaccurate and danger of ricochet. Also a lot of extra hassle.
MS

100% spot on!

It is really not the right tool for the job. I have one, yet in the situations you describe it is never my 1st, 2nd or even 3rd choice. I use mine for shooting cattle and horses. I have shot a few deer with it, but only because I had it with me and to get another gun from home would have caused significant delay.

For a deer at the side of the road my choice would be:

1st - shotgun (any calibre, .410 plenty but a 12G with some large shot would deal with a walking wounded [SG])
2nd - captive bolt assuming no antlers or moribund
3rd - .22 rimfire
4th - pistol
5th - larger rifle.

Humane dispatch is not fun. You are dealing with a situation where there may be emotional people, injured people, people who just want to help 'Bambi'. You may be thrust into that yourself with no police.

I fail to see any attraction in this sort of work.

Oh dear!

The standard argument about .32 ACP/7.65mm Browning being "all that is needed" is an historic error from the days of the converted Webley .32. But even back then for large animals such as heavy horses there were implements using the .455 Webley cartridge.

I would do research on the internet as there are various foreign equivalents of the British RSPCA - see Australia, USA, Etc., that have produced guidance.

had a vet come to shoot a 'down' cow.. pistol was a .38....She put the gun close to the head and 'bang!' ...cow didn't even flinch, just carried on cudding, next shot the cow flinched, but just carried on cudding.....the vet shot the cow 5 times in total. Imagine doing that with a public watching on at the side of a road....I have also witnessed a BSE cow shot by a ministry vet as injection was too dangerous, he used a .303 rifle, shot the cow in the head, which dropped instantly, went to the office to do the paperwork and went back to tag the dead cow, which was back on its feet spraying blood everywhere. Never seen a cow shot more than once with a shotgun.....

It's not just a matter of using the right tool or calibre it's also about knowing how to do it properly and it's not something that I would really want to get involved with voluntarily.

Incidentally enfield, I have read reports of the chindits in Burma having to put mules out of their misery and .455 rounds failing to penetrate properly but at the same time my friend assures me that on a couple of occasions that he had to despatch a horse or cows his .455 was more than adequate. I suppose it all goes back again to knowing how to do it properly.

I've got a .38 special which was reccomended to me as it's what the RSPCA use...(?!) In all honesty I've yet to use it! .357 is supposed to be a good option as you can use .38 specials in it too - I'm no expert though as this is just what I've read and been told during my own research.

The rationale behind me having a pistol is in case of an RTA when there are a lot of members of the public around - me walking up discreetly with a pistol to an animal that's unable to move is a lot less disturbing to the general public than me spreading it's head over the pavement with a shotgun. Also if the animal is stuck under a vehicle or in a confined space it may only be possible to use something small like a pistol.

This said - I'd avoid using the pistol unless in the circumstances mentioned above - if the deer is still thrashing around I'm not going near it, and would sooner use one of my rimfires to headshoot it at 25yds-ish. If no-ones about then why risk a richochet; I'd just use my .410. If it's in the distance with a safe backstop then my usual stalking rifle is obviously the choice.

I like having one in case the situation ever arises (rather have it and not need it, thank need it and not have it), but it certainly wouldn't be my tool of choice... so it's really just a £500 lump that I may never actually use!

It is really not the right tool for the job. I have one, yet in the situations you describe it is never my 1st, 2nd or even 3rd choice. I use mine for shooting cattle and horses. I have shot a few deer with it, but only because I had it with me and to get another gun from home would have caused significant delay.

For a deer at the side of the road my choice would be:

1st - shotgun (any calibre, .410 plenty but a 12G with some large shot would deal with a walking wounded [SG])
2nd - captive bolt assuming no antlers or moribund
3rd - .22 rimfire
4th - pistol
5th - larger rifle.

Humane dispatch is not fun. You are dealing with a situation where there may be emotional people, injured people, people who just want to help 'Bambi'. You may be thrust into that yourself with no police.

I fail to see any attraction in this sort of work.

:thumb: spot on !

had a vet come to shoot a 'down' cow.. pistol was a .38....She put the gun close to the head and 'bang!' ...cow didn't even flinch, just carried on cudding, next shot the cow flinched, but just carried on cudding.....the vet shot the cow 5 times in total. Imagine doing that with a public watching on at the side of a road....I have also witnessed a BSE cow shot by a ministry vet as injection was too dangerous, he used a .303 rifle, shot the cow in the head, which dropped instantly, went to the office to do the paperwork and went back to tag the dead cow, which was back on its feet spraying blood everywhere. Never seen a cow shot more than once with a shotgun.....

you need a new vet.
or he need to buy some soft nose bullets instead of blanks

seen huge animals fall to my father's 310 greener like the hand of god.

age old saying..."bullet placement is the key"

Yup.... BIG Aberdeen Angus bull (knackered leg) shot with 12g and it never even twitched ... dropped like a stone. Absoultely no need for pistols.

MRlott....... do you have a 'professional' need to get involved in this as I simply cannot understand why someone would want to "I would like to get into this field " unless it was absolutely necessary ?

you need a new vet.
or he need to buy some soft nose bullets instead of blanks

seen huge animals fall to my father's 310 greener like the hand of god.

age old saying..."bullet placement is the key"

You're right there too!

I occasionally give a RTA brief and demo which covers all aspects of the process. One of the things I do is to get a couple of different species of deer heads and cut them in half lengthways. I then put them back together with an elastic band around them and ask the guys where they would aim to destroy the brain from different angles. You would be amazed where some people condiser the brain to be!!!! Opening the head up and showing exactly where it is surprises most people as it is very flat and just under the forehead which means that a shot from the side is Very difficult. If you draw 2 imaginary lines between base of right ear to left eye, and base of left ear to right eye, the point where they cross is your aim point. Always best to shoot from the front as the shot then has the neck as a backstop! Base of ear/atlas joint will also do the trick though if you can't get to the front.
MS

Back