Thread: Best investment ever!

Best investment ever!

Well we have all this lovely snow but last year I bought some Auto Socks and never got to try them out

So got up this morning looked outside and smiled, breakfast sorted, snow socks under my arm and went out in to the blizzard (it seriously was at the time)! I did get some funny looks of the neighbours but I wasn't fussed. Got out on to the main road and it was like driving normally up to about 30 mph.

Now coming down from Trellech to Monmouth is a very steep long hill that has a big Z bend in the middle of it, so I back off to about 20 mph and turned in with no problems, passing vans stuck through hedges and cars spinning in the middle of the road.

All I will say is for the money these are a bargain and they work very very well and I'm writing this from my office in work

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snow_socks2.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	240.0 KB 
ID:	23621

I maybe wrong but i thought snow chains etc were illegal to use in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    These aren't chains they are a fabric, but yes it is a grey area as the tyre is technically not in contact with the road. It be interesting to see a test case and be prosecuted for improving the safety of your vehicle in adverse weather conditions

Car Snow Socks | Snow Socks | Auto Sock | AutoSock UK

Ah the Lydart bends. In the snow they are the point of no return . Wait till later and everyone else dumps their car there. Nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    I don't think so as we used them in work for many years and as far as I know they are still being used though these days rather than fitting them directly to the tyres many of the wagons have a rotary arm fitted beneath the chassis that flicks the chains under the wheels. Chains are still a legal requirement in some areas of Europe at certain times of the year. The chain flicker combined with all year round tyres certainly beat the days when we were constantly fitting and removing snow chains. I can remember one night when we fitted and removed the chains three times during a night shift on all three of our wagons and that was the days before quick fit chains. Chains aren't the be all and end all they have their limitations and I can tell you that when they say you need to keep your speed down to thirty miles per hour or less they mean it. It's not funny when the chains wear through and fly off on the motorway taking the wheelarch and a fair bit of bodywork with it.

Incidentally they are known as mud and snow chains something that many people forget.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Just wondered if studs are illegal in the UK.
    I had to have them fitted in Sweden to my winter tyred peugeot 504 as it was sliding all over the place then voila never had another problem.
    They just shoot them into the holes moulded into the winter tyres surface and they were not expensive to do either.
    Martin

Studded tyres are illegal for use on the roads in the U.K. I believe. I can understand them being a requirement in Sweden or some other country were they don't grit the roads and you drive on compacted snow for months on end, but in the U.K. snow is normally on the roads for such a short time that they would be dangerous to use due to less grip on the metaled surface when the snow has melted. The same applies to chains, they need to be removed as soon as the snow starts to melt.
    Last edited by 8x57; 18-01-2013 at 12:57.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.