Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Re-Loading for a Blaser R93

Re-Loading for a Blaser R93

Has anyone had trouble with reloads for a Blaser?
    I am having problems with rounds for my .30-06, I find the shoulder of the fired case moves forward even after one use and this stops the reloaded round from firing (the bolt does not go forward quite enough) and shows a light primer strike............if I throw the bolt forward with a bit more force all the rounds fire!
    Is this my rifle or common problem?

You have to full length size all brass used in a blaser.
    "If you can't see it, you can't shoot it"

Really? I thought the idea of "fire forming" made the cartidge almost a custom fit for your chamber??? (don't shoot me down I don't claim to be any sort of expert )

Would love to know why you would have to full size the case after every firing in a Blazer when you normally dont have to in a bolt action ?

I don't have a Blaser myself but I think that this subject has been mentioned before so there may be previous postings on the subject. If memory serves me correctly some stated that the problem was because of the design of the Blaser locking system which doesn't cam the bolt closed in the same positive way as more conventional bolt action rifles. Operating the bolt rapidly and forcefully seemed to be the solution if I recall correctly.

As regards the benefits of full length resizing I have a similar problem with my break action rifles. The lack of positive caming action makes full length resizing beneficial in fact essential, as much as I would simply like to neck size using a collet die it just doesn't work with my rifles.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I've been reloading for my Blaser in 308W for about 5 years now. At first I did have a faulty neck sizing die and so had some problems with neck sizing. Once I got that resolved and started using the Lee collet neck sizing die I haven't looked back. I have some cases that must be on a minimum of 5 firings and are maybe closer to 10 that haven't been full length sized. They still cycle and fire perfectly. Based upon my direct experience over around 2000 rounds it is simply untrue to say that you must full length size for a Blaser.

You need to be fairly positive on closing the bolt on a Blaser and many people, especially those new to the Blaser have the problem of not getting the bolt fully closed and getting the light strikes and failures to fire.

Have you checked the length of your cases? Just a thought but maybe they are slightly too long in total length, rather than to the shoulder, and need a bit of a trim?

Also were these cases new, or fired in another rifle before you got them? If they were fired in another rifle then i guess they might need the shoulder bumped back. I've always used Lapua brass and with new brass I just load it up and fire it and have never had any problems other than that one load I have uses a lot of powder which will not fit in a new case until it's been fired once.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    It has been mentioned before - see http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...-Blaser-reload

I only reload my .308 (I also have an R93 in .243, but in that I use just factory ammunition) and I full length size every time. If not, there can be issues with closing the bolt.

The up-side is that I've not seen the POI change on the Blaser regardless of who's behind the butt....unlike my Sako.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by scotch_egg View Post
    You have to full length size all brass used in a blaser.
    + 1 I used to have this problem until I f/l sized, Blaser chambers are made to tight tolerences and the bolt is designed not to fire unless it is fully locked. fire forming cases for Blaser r93 & r8 is not needed to get accuracy as in a B/A. The technical explanation is posted elsewhere, may be on here or it might have been on "Blaserbuds" I can't remember for sure.
    atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by murrayb View Post
    Would love to know why you would have to full size the case after every firing in a Blazer when you normally dont have to in a bolt action ?
    I believe the reason is the free-floating bolt head in the Blaser, unlike in a normal bolt-action.

But then I don't claim to be an expert......and neither do I really care

willie_gunn

Doubtless if we leave this a few minutes someone will post saying "Blasers are over-engineered cr*p, shouldn't have to full-length re-size, horrible Teutonic rattle-boxes, etc"

willie_gunn

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Doubtless if we leave this a few minutes someone will post saying "Blasers are over-engineered cr*p, shouldn't have to full-length re-size, horrible Teutonic rattle-boxes, etc"

willie_gunn
    Inevitable, there are a small number of contributers to SD that react remarkably childishly when someone asks a perfectly valid question about Blasers. I was interested in what Caorach had to say, it is a while since I tried neck sizing, I will try doing some more to see if they perform ok. atb Tim